Like the others, Ford is offering a £2,000 part-exchange allowance against selected new models. However, Ford is not limiting its offer to old diesel cars; any pre-Euro 5 petrol or diesel (or any other fuel) vehicle can be used to claim the allowance. This means most cars prior to 2010 will be eligible for the offer.
Ford also promises that all part-exchange vehicles under the new offer will be scrapped rather than re-sold, which again goes beyond what is being offered elsewhere (Mercedes plans to scrap diesel cars up to Euro 3 but not Euro 4).
The offer applies to buyers of the all-new Ford Fiesta, the B-Max (excluding Zetec models), Focus, C-Max and Kuga passenger cars. There is also a similar offer on selected Ford Transit van models, which we are covering over at The Van Expert.
The offer kicks off in line with the new number plate change on 1 September, and cars must be registered by 31 December.
The Ford scrappage scheme offer is in addition to any other promotions and discounts. For example, there is a discount of nearly £3,000 on selected Focus models currently being offered, which would give a total saving of nearly £5,000.
The Car Expert checks the fine print
- This offer is a part-exchange allowance, for selected used cars part-exchanged against selected new cars.
- Your current car can be from any brand, but must be built to Euro 4 emissions standard or earlier. This will definitely be cars built no later than 2010, although some cars had Euro 5 specification engines earlier than this.
- You must be the owner of the part-exchange vehicle and the buyer of the new car (same name and registered address).
- You must have owned the old car for at least 90 days, to stop people buying an old banger for £200 and then getting a £2,000 part-exchange allowance for it.
- You must order your new car and take delivery before the end of the year.
- This offer can be used on top of any other offers from the dealer/manufacturer/finance company, including the government plug-in car grant
- The offer is not dependent on you taking any finance package or other products.