2nd hand (relatively new) – Diesel or Petrol?

Home Forums Buying a Car 2nd hand (relatively new) – Diesel or Petrol?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Hi what a great site this is….found it by chance while browsing for answers to topic title really!!

I was all-set to get a diesel Audi A4 as I’ve had a bit of a windfall and have got 14k to spend on a (new-ish) car!

Since the kids came along many years ago, I’ve always had to make do with older cars of anything between 5-10yrs old to get us by….

Since they’ve now grown up a bit, and we’re starting to have a bit more free finances at the end of the month, I thought it might be time to treat ourselves to a ‘nice’ car for once…the windfall made my mind up for me too!!

I only do about 8k a year really….just going back and to to work (about 12miles) and the odd day trip out or to the airport for hols…

This is where on googling, I read about having to do over 10k to make it pay to pay the extra for a diesel.

I was also toying with the idea of lumping the 14k off my mortgage (which only has about 18mths left…) and paying a monthly PCP/HP!!

Which would be the best way to go do you think??

Thx for any advice….

• #3733 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

If you are looking second hand petrol will be cheaper than diesel for the same age and mileage. Petrol might work out more reliable over time too, but if you are buying nearly new you should probably just buy the car you enjoy driving most. I doubt there will be much difference in running costs with the little mileage you do.

As for using the money on the car or mortgage, its all down to interest rates. Usually mortgages are the cheapest borrowing you will ever have and they are the last debt you should repay as a result. Some new cars will be available with interest free credit which changes things a little, but a nearly new car is unlikely to come with an interest charge lower than the rate you have on your mortgage.

• #3754 Reply

Thanks for the reply artill.

The last few cars I’ve owned have been diesels due to the mpg returns. But after looking around at the moment and seeing the difference in price to buy the car – plus reading some articles on mileage vs cost of diesel ownership (car price, cost per litre etc), it’s got me looking at it differently now!

• #3762 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Hi Philo. Based on your standard commute of 12 miles, I’m not entirely sure that a modern diesel would return a big MPG gain. Diesels with DPFs are frequently quoted as being less economical than petrol equivalents before the engine has warmed up. Depending on the type of route your 12 miles consists of, the engine may well hardly be up to normal operating temperature by the time you arrive at work.

Artill’s right. £14k is a lot of money. Buy the car you like the most.

LG

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #3778 Reply

ilsole
    Participant

Is £14k your total budget? If so, may I suggest my car??! Not that i want to sell it, but a 2008 LCI (facelift) BMW 3 series 330i petrol will be all the car you’ll ever need. I have a touring version from december 2008 and it’s probably worth around that amount, so a saloon version would be about your budget. On a 12 miles commute you’ll return just over 30mpg, but it’ll sound great, beat the A4 hands down on performance and handling, and be relatively cheap to run. Mine costs me a lot less than the old Audi A6 diesel i used to run in terms of servicing and warranty costs…
    Otherwsie, how about a lexus IS250 petrol? they’re very nice too…

• #3780 Reply

ilsole wrote:Is £14k your total budget? If so, may I suggest my car??! Not that i want to sell it, but a 2008 LCI (facelift) BMW 3 series 330i petrol will be all the car you’ll ever need. I have a touring version from december 2008 and it’s probably worth around that amount, so a saloon version would be about your budget. On a 12 miles commute you’ll return just over 30mpg, but it’ll sound great, beat the A4 hands down on performance and handling, and be relatively cheap to run. Mine costs me a lot less than the old Audi A6 diesel i used to run in terms of servicing and warranty costs…
    Otherwsie, how about a lexus IS250 petrol? they’re very nice too…

Really nice looking car. If I lived anywhere other than where I do, it’d be right up there with my list of possibles….but (and it’s a big ‘but’) I live at the end of a cul de sac, and between us and the main road, is a fairly steep hill. The guy 2 doors down from us got caught out the last 2 winters by not driving his beemer up to the top of the hill (so he’s at least got a chance of getting away)…and ending up having to get a lift off his colleague into work for a few days.

Another mate of mine who also had a 3 series beemer, couldn’t even get his off drive in the snow last winter, so he’s sold it and got the new X3 for this year – unfortunately, I aint got his kinda money :(

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

• #4068 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Philobenno, what did you end up getting?

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1