fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

2nd year of PCP Servicing,V.Low mileage.

Home page 2023 Forums Car finance 2nd year of PCP Servicing,V.Low mileage.

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      David

Hi,
      Hope someone can help with this.

Currently in the second year of a Toyota PCP and the second service is shortly due. The warranty docs state that a full-service is required at the second year (or 20k miles).

My issue is that our mileage is approx 7500, so nowhere near the general figure agreed upon for a second year of servicing, so a full service (£295!) does seem unnecessary when taking the mileage into account.

Our choices are:
      1. Pay for full service (least preferable option)
      2. Pay for intermediate service (~£145)
      3. Pay for full service with independent garage.

Could we still be within the terms of the warranty and/or pcp agreement if we took either option 2 or 3.

My thinking is that the v.low mileage could offset any potential loss in value due to not adhering strictly to the agreement / warranty terms.

Does anybody have a suggestion on what would be the best route to take.

Many thanks.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi David. If you plan on giving the car back to the finance company at the end of the agreement, you need to have complied with the contractual requirements for servicing. That means paying for a full service – at a Toyota dealer – if that’s what the book says. If you don’t, the finance company will charge you for breaching your contract and it will almost certainly be much more than £295.

If you don’t plan on giving the car back (ie – you plan to either pay off the balloon and keep it, or you plan to part-exchange the car at a dealership and are banking on the car being worth more than the balloon/GFV), then you don’t need to have it serviced according to the book and your finance contract.

For more information, have a read of our article about servicing your car when you have a PCP.

DAvid

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.

We’re most likely to upgrade to a different model at the end of the pcp term, and considering the general condition of the car plus the low mileage (pcp mileage term is 6k per-year) I would expect the value to be higher than the gfv in a years time.

We’re definitely going to get a service this year, the question is really whether it would be worthwhile paying the extra £150 for the full service at the Toyota dealership.

In your opinion, would paying for the cheaper service this year affect our potential equity enough to make it worthwhile paying for the full service?

Many thanks

David

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Personally, I’d be servicing it with Toyota to keep my options open.

There’s no reason you can’t call the Toyota dealer and ask them to match the price of servicing it elsewhere. They may not match it, but they might go some way to reducing the current gap.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.