Advice: Newer Honda Jazz vs Older VW Golf

Home Forums Buying a Car Advice: Newer Honda Jazz vs Older VW Golf

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jazz 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Jazz

Hi Folks,

I’m having a difficult time deciding on whether to go for say a 2010 Honda Jazz or a 2008 VW Golf (1.4 or 1.6)

The plan is to buy a used car for around the £3,750 – £4,500 price range, which will be used for 2 years max. After 2 years, I want to sell the car on and recoup as much of the money I spent as possible.

With that in mind, here’s a rough guide on the car descriptions:

-> Both the Honda and VW are in the same condition (theoretically, for the sake of this example)
    -> Honda has between 40,000 – 50,000 miles on the clock
    -> VW has 60,000 – 80,000 miles on the clock
    -> Honda is a 2010 or 2011 model
    -> VW is a 2008 model
    -> I’m not expecting to exceed 6k miles a year.

Both are around the price range. I was told that the Honda is newer and has less mileage so would therefore fetch more money back after a couple of years. Others are saying the VW will fetch more money.

When I use online valuation tests, the general consensus is that the Honda Jazz will return more money. E.g. the value of the Honda (if in good condition) will be £1,000 less. Whereas, the VW reduces by £2,000 +.

Are the online checks pretty accurate in this regard? What would you opt for out of the two, bearing in mind I’d like to recoup some of the money after 2 years?? Any advice you guys provide would be greatly appreciated!!

• #92909 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The two cars are not really directly comparable. A Volkswagen Golf is larger than the Honda Jazz – more equivalent to a Honda Civic. The Honda Jazz is closer in size to a Volkswagen Polo. If you are leaning towards the Jazz, you need to make sure that it is large enough to fit everything in that it will need to fit. Conversely, if you are very tight on parking space, you will need to make sure that a Golf will fit into the space available, as it will require a bit more real estate than a Jazz.

Your running costs may well be more relevant than the resale value in a couple of years’ time. Usually, you would expect a larger car to use more fuel, have larger/more expensive tyres, cost more to insure and have higher road tax. Depending on engine and model, that may or may not be the case depending on the exact vehicles you are comparing.

I would suggest you use the same classifieds site you are looking at to buy your new car to look at the prices of examples which are two years older, and see what that looks like. There is probably not a lot in it between the two vehicles.

• #92953 Reply

Jazz

Thanks Stuart.

I think size-wise, it should be okay (the Jazz). A Polo was another option – I’ve had a Polo for over a decade, so fancied a change :) But agree, the Polo and Jazz is a closer comparison.

My main concern was the resale value. I checked the classified site, and on the whole, the Jazz seems to retain its value better. I’m assuming this is because the Jazz is newer (<2 years) and has lower mileage. The dip in price of the Golf is a lot greater!

Thanks for your advice. I’ll keep looking.

• #92956 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

If you’re planning to spend circa £4K, the difference in resale value after two years is likely to be less than £500. Other running costs could well be higher than that over the same period.

• #92959 Reply

Jazz

Hi Stuart,

Sorry, did you mean the depreciation of the Jazz is £500 over 2 years? Or, the difference between the Jazz (2010) and VW (2008) 2 years later would be £500?

Thanks,

• #92960 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

I was suggesting that the difference in depreciation between the two vehicles is probably going to be no more than £500 over two years.

• #92962 Reply

Jazz

Got it, thanks.

Reply To: Advice: Newer Honda Jazz vs Older VW Golf

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1