fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Advice on my rights – Citroen intermittent fault

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car Advice on my rights – Citroen intermittent fault

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Tom Sayer

I bought a car from a dealership on the 30th of April this year. Within a couple of weeks the engine developed a issue, where 1 of 3 starts would cause the engine to shudder and splutter – as though it were about to stall. The fault was more apparent during warm weather, with frequency trailing off to very rare in the current temperature.

If driving whilst like this, it would be struggle to pull off e.g. You put your foot down to pull out of a junction, and the engine has a large delay in responding. Enough of a delay to put me in a dangerous position.

Now initially this was diagnosed as a EGR valve fault (paid for my local garage to diagnose). Called the garage it was purchased from and told them about it, and they asked me to get in touch with their “mobile mechanic”. Didn’t manage to get the car in to him for about a month and a half due to holidays (his and mine), moving my partner in etc.

Anyway, I eventually get the car to their mechanic – an hour away from my location, with no courtesy car available, so my partner had to come with me.

The mechanic kept the car for 3 weeks before admitting defeat. I then had to drive back with my partner again and collect the car. Next step was a branded garage (Citroen to match the car). The garage had a two and a half week wait to have a courtesy car, and it finally went in this morning – 45 min drive.

The garage has rang me this evening and said they can find nothing wrong with it, and due to the fault being intermittent there is nothing further they can do.

Which brings me to current date – I’ve no faith in the car, and have no doubt that when the fault comes back next spring/summer the garage won’t want to hear about it due to the time passed.

What options do I have open to me? Can I now demand a refund and return the car? (Consumer rights act)
      Am I stuck with the car as it is?

Any advice would be appreciated!

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Tom. Intermittent faults are always difficult, but very common. Unfortunately it does make your life more difficult in terms of trying to reject the vehicle.

For more information, have a read of our article about rejecting a car under the Consumer Rights Act.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.