fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

M1 speed camera flash and speeding fine

Home page 2023 Forums Any Other Business M1 speed camera flash and speeding fine

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      naviberry

Hi all!

Just wanted as many opinions as possible on this as I am freaking out over it and it has never happened to me before, also these new enforcements with the speeding fines etc is making me even more anxious.

Was driving down the M1 motorway yesterday morning (from J11 to J8 – southbound) and it said 60 on the gantry above, where they set speed limits. On my speedometer I was going at 63mph – I know that it always shows up on it as a little more than what it actually is so I thought it would be fine and I was running late for work (not thinking straight) otherwise I usually would never go even a little bit over, even with the speedometer reading as a bit more than the actual speed.

However, I saw a massive flash coming from the right hand side – it definitely flashed from the top right and saw it in my right hand wing mirror and if I get caught for this which I’m pretty anxious I have been, I cannot believe it would be for a few mph more than what the limit actually was and surely the speedometer should have marked it at around 60mph with it showing as a bit more than reality?

Just want to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and I would appreciate your input/opinions whether you have been or not! Really making me feel awfully anxious and tense that I’m going to get a speeding fine and points on my licence for stupidly going a few mph over the limit if I actually did.

I have never gone over the speed limit in my 6 years of driving and don’t plan to, I am always super aware of that kind of thing and have never done anything against the law so this is making me feel sick. If I get a speeding fine, should I appeal and what do you think my chances are of them overturning the decision?

Thank you!

naviberry

Coady

Hi,

Usually prosecutions for speeding allow a 10% tolerance before police forces take it to court. So a 60mph zone would allow around 66mph.

How do you know your speedometer is not accurate? Most people if caught speeding for the first time are often offered a ‘speed awareness course’ that you have to pay for instead of fines and points.

Admitting you were over the speed limit if you appeal is admitting you were breaking the law, so be careful.

I’ve seen speed cameras flash when nothing is passing them! Finally, it may have been a car overtaking you in the next lane that was flashed.

Good luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.