Advice please

Home Forums Buying a Car Advice please

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

– none –

Hi

Am trying to find out, whether i can be the registered keeper for a vehicle that is financed by a relative? This is for getting a private hire license for the vehicle.

Additionally, what finance options cater to my scenario? Looking to trade current prius for an upgrade but due to low credit score, relative is looking to assist.

Cheers

• #60727 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi greenbear. Short answer: no, not for a PCP or HP, and with a lease the V5 stays in the finance company’s name anyway. This article explains how the finance agreement and the V5 have to be in the same name.

Only real other option is a personal loan, but anytime Person A is taking out finance for Person B, banks and finance companies get uncomfortable as those types of finance have a high statistical chance of going bad.

• #60912 Reply

kate

Hi

I am trying to find out if I can challange the excess mileage charge on a hp agreement. I have VT my agreement and have paid over 50% of the agreement.

• #61081 Reply

Joe

Hi

Firstly I am not particularly well informed when it comes to cars. I live in London and don’t drive a huge amount (5 or 6 thousand miles a year or so and very rarely out of the city).

I want a vehicle that’s fun to drive but economical to run and one that will hopefully hold its value reasonably well. Anyway this is a long winded way to explain that I’m leaning towards a used but pretty new Audi A3 1.4 TSFi and my question is whether you would recommend an alternative that fits loosely into this bracket?

Thanks

• #61089 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The A3 is a good car, but then most things in that bracket are also pretty good so it often comes down to budget and personal preference. VW Golf, Ford Focus, BMW 1-series (even though it’s hideously ugly), Peugeot 308, Volvo V40, Mercedes-Benz A-Class, Alfa Romeo Giulietta and so on. They are all very similar in size, but you will find differences in engine and equipment levels.

• #61094 Reply

Joe

Thanks Stuart. Appreciate your speedy response.

• #61563 Reply

Sam

I have 50.000 to buy a car but stuggling due to my needs, ie i need to fit a double pushchair in the boot and need to fit 3 car seats in the back. One being a booster, one a baby car seat and the last is the one in the middle. Please advice of any ideas.

• #61564 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Sam. Fitting three car seats across the back is very difficult in most modern cars, as even the wider vehicles tend to shape the rear bench for 2 rather than 3 people and the centre car seats generally doesn’t fit very well.

Most people with three car seats end up buying a 7-seat car, and have two in the middle row and one in the back. The problem with this is then fitting the pushchair in the boot. A large estate car like a Ford Mondeo or Skoda Superb might do the job, or Audi A6 or Mercedes-Benz E-Class if you prefer. Alternatively you are looking at large SUVs like Land Rover Discovery or Volvo XC90.

Reply To: Advice please

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1