Audi S3

Home Forums New and News Audi S3

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  wanos 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Following the Maserati Ghibli and BMW X4 earlier this week, here is the new Audi S3 which has now been driven by motoring journos.

The reports have been very positive, and it seems to me that the S3 is a return to what Audi’s S-cars always did best – very subtle, but very fast and quietly satisfying.

So without reverting to usual Audi driver stereotyping, what does everyone think?

• #3544 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

It does seem that the best driving Audi’s have often been based on the FWD VW platform, and this appears no different. This is an area of the market that only the Germans compete in, and compared to the over fussy styling and dull drive of the Merc this wins hands down. Compared to the BMW 1 series the drive will make the most difference, but unlike the BMW this isnt offensive to look at. So i agree, probably what Audi do best

• #3572 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

This seems to have astonishing performance, not that long ago this was the preserve of super cars. If they do a sport back version it would definitely appeal to me. Probably couldn’t be trusted with this performance though. Every B road overtake would leave you on the wrong side of 90.

• #3926 Reply
    audi_a5
    audi_a5
    Participant

Every B road overtake would leave you on the wrong side of 90.

That’s a very good point. I find with Audis that you build up speed without being fully aware of it, and you often get a surprise when you see how fast you are going. A Ford or a Renault OTOH really let you know that you are shifting!
    On topic, the S3 is very tempting. Maybe second hand, a few years down the road….

• #3940 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

i find that with most modern cars, you can build up lots of speed without realising it. There is so much insulation of NVH that you have no idea how fast you’re travelling.

• #3945 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

This is the beauty of the Ford Ranger 3.2D. You always know when you’re doing over 60.

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #4038 Reply

turbo_josh_89
    Participant

I’d still want a bit more drama in it though. Whats the point of having 300hp if it feels about as exciting as pulling on your socks in the morning? I’d want them blown off!

• #4040 Reply

wanos
    Participant

I do like the S3 however I prefer the saloon version which will come out. It does beg the question with having such good reviews and 300bhp, what will the new RS3 be like??

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing and bad preperation"

Reply To: Audi S3

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1