Best car in world takes up smoking

Home Forums Any Other Business Best car in world takes up smoking

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by artill artill 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Its devastating. The (virtually) indisputed king of all vehicles is a bit poorly. My magnificent X5M is not starting brilliantly and has progressed in the last 6 weeks from sooty exhausts to full-blown black clouds on wide throttle openings.

It is now out of warranty, (will be 4 years old in November), although just inside the warranty period I did take it in saying it was a bit sluggish to start sometimes. The dealer, (as always blinkered by the error log) said there was nothing wrong, the battery just needed charging.

In February, I sent it in again for the same reason and they said the same thing. Anyway, 5 mins googling “X5M black smoke” last night revealed a known issue of leaking injectors on this engine. After shut down a leaky injector / injectors drip fuel from the fuel line. Hence on startup you have to wait for the fuel pump to refill the system, causing a delay, whilst the dripped fuel subsequently burns when/where it shouldn’t and causes the smoke.

I don’t really have much of a point to make, other than to issue this as a warning, as I assume any right-thinking petrolhead will be moving hell or highwater to get an X5M on their driveway and should be aware of the potential issue.

I don’t know the costs involved yet, and as I reported the issue in warranty I am confident it won’t be costing me to put it right, but it has given me sufficiently cold feet to sell whilst the going is good (ish). After all, it is an incredibly complicated engine, built and sold in very small numbers, and a major repair is going to cost a fortune.

Accordingly, I have reached a most unsavoury decision, and at the risk of being expelled from the forum, I will share it with you. The obvious scenario is to buy a new X5M. You can’t, though, and neither can I, as this X5 is now out of production, and the new one is only available in a lesser state of tune. That means looking to another brand (Cayenne, Range Rover etc) but that would mean not getting the substantial staff BMW discount to which my family is entitled.

All of this means that if I want a new car with the X5M engine, a high seating position and a hatchback (for the hound), I am led inexorably and painfully to the hysterically ugly X6M. I shall order one this afternoon, along with a bag to put on my head.

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #5044 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

Great post LG, and sorry to hear of the problem. On the bright side X6M wise, you wont see it from the inside, and i suggest you have it wrapped in a mirror finish so you can never really see it from the outside either.

• #5051 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Great plan, Artill. I think with a metallic chrome X6M, the question on most people’s lips will be “Who does he play for?”.

• #5053 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

If you put your dog into the back of an X6, straight out of a X5, it’ll confuse the hell out of it. It’ll probably think it’s just been in an accident.

As a pooch carrier you shouldn’t go for chrome. Oh no. You need a fur covered wrap, with “Hound Dawg” picked out in a lighter colour along the flanks. That would be the tasteful way to go.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #5055 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

From the tile I thought sure this thread was going to be about the 458… :-)

• #5056 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Colonel, I might get the guys to mock an X6M “Furburger” special edition up, and if they have the time to do it, I’ll be sure to post it.

Lesia, the 458 Italia is clearly the second best car in the world, with the Ford Ranger Wildtrak taking third place. Bentley have contacted me, as they believe their car should get a podium place, but I told them that as long as there’s an intermittent rattle form behind the glovebox, it can’t even take fourth place off a poxy SL63.

• #5178 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Update : great news – the X5M will be delivered back to me on Monday with 8 new injectors, all completed by BMW UK as a ‘goodwill’ job. Happy camper.

Bad news : X6M will be delivered end November, and the X5M will be seeking a new home. Friends will have deserted me by mid-November, and by Christmas depression will have set in.

• #5182 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

I am looking forward to seeing monthly pictures of the X6M with whatever wrap you decide will disguise it best.

Reply To: Best car in world takes up smoking

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1