BMW Approved Used Car

Home Forums Buying a Car BMW Approved Used Car

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Smithy

Sorry for the essay!

I recently purchased an Approved Used BMW M3 through a main dealer. The car appeared in good order when I test drove it, and I was shown a folder full of invoices and also saw the salesman go through the service booklet as I had enquired about the crucial ‘run-in service’. I was told a car like this will have to have had all of its criteria met in order for it to be marketed as an Approved Used BMW.

After some negotiation, regarding my current vehicle as part exchange, a deal was done and I took ownership on the 30th of December. I still consider what I paid premium money for a car that was outside of it’s manufacturers warranty period, but I got the benefit of dealer services and an Approved Used 12 month warranty which meant I could take the car back to BMW if something went wrong.

On the drive home I noticed that the washer fluid hadn’t been topped up and there was a warning on the dash, so much for their 100+ point inspection. I then began to notice other issues, the a-pillar trim on the drivers side was budging. It had clearly been removed and not put back correctly. I could see this as the tint line of the windscreen was not straight against it, as apposed to the passenger side. I then started to notice other things, the rear highline brake light trim was poorly fitted. Upon getting home I then discovered the seat belt extender didn’t catch the seatbelt on the drivers side. I set about going through the owners manual to discover the history and service book were not there.

I called the supplying dealership and was told they had realised the history was not included and it was going to be sent to me, that was over a week ago and there’s no sign of it. I’ve chased this twice via email and had no replies so far. I was told to take the car to my local BMW dealer and have them fix the issues, anything not covered by the warranty they would have to authorise and pay for. Anyway in short the dealership wouldn’t authorise the work, even though they said it was fine, when I took the car into my local BMW dealership. They sent a guy to collect the car and it’s currently with them.

Anyway my main concern here, is they look like they’ve lost the service history for what was a very expensive ‘Approved Used’ performance car. Where do I stand with this? The whole process has left a very sour taste in my mouth. I bought the car two weeks ago and have had it in my possession for a week of that time

Many thanks in advance.

• #104773 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The service history should be an easy fix because it will all be digitally recorded and kept on file, so any BMW dealer should theoretically be able to issue you with a complete service history for the vehicle.

The interior trim issues don’t sound like major problems, assuming the seat belt is not being fouled or affected in its operation in an accident, especially since the car is old enough to be out of warranty. The only thing that comes to mind is whether or not the car has been in an accident and the trims are poorly fitted because they are replacements after the airbags deploying or similar.

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1