Buying a reasonably new used diesel

Home Forums Buying a Car Buying a reasonably new used diesel

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tom

Hi,

I’m looking to upgrade my car, and I think the Nissan Qashqai probably best fits what I’m looking for. The models I’ve been mostly looking at are 2014 1.5l diesels. They seem pretty efficient and fairly low emissions, but I’m a bit concerned about possible future penalties on diesel cars. I don’t live in London, so congestion charges are less of an issue. What is the general feeling about buying diesel cars of that age? Am I likely to regret it? Thanks for your help.

• #117982 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Tom. No-one’s really sure what’s going to happen with diesels over the next five years or so.

So far, talk of penalties for diesel cars – whether it’s congestion charges, extra road tax or anything else – is expected to include current Euro-6 models, which is the relevant standard for the Qashqai models you are looking at.

That may change as politics on the matter escalates. Obviously, if the government increases fuel duty on diesel then it will affect all diesel-engined cars, not just older ones.

New car diesel sales have crashed over the last four months, with no recovery expected anytime soon. Therefore you might find that resale values start falling more rapidly as well. So if you hold off for a while, prices might get cheaper. But when you come to sell the car, you’ll get less back again.

Reply To: Buying a reasonably new used diesel

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1