Used Volkswagen Golf with crash damage

Home Forums Buying a Car Used Volkswagen Golf with crash damage

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Paul longstaff

I bought a used 2014 Volkswagen Golf one week ago on a PCP for £10,495. Since I have bought it I have noticed several issues.

When I went to get the car cleaned the guy pointed out lots of overspray and places where lacquer has come away around the passenger door and rear panel. I noticed that there was a water leak and on inspection I found a split in the radiator pipe. Whilst I was looking further to find any other faults, I noticed damage to supporting steel work in the engine compartment (sorry don’t know the name of this but it runs from the bulkhead to the front of the car)which is twisted and has been filled with what looks like putty.

A friend of mine who is a mechanic has looked at the car and found further issues underneath the car. The rear brake callipers have tip-ex writing on them which looks like they have come from a scrap yard. In his opinion the car is probably a cat “C”.

The car came with an 128 point AA inspection and none of this was mentioned. I took the car to Volkswagen and have booked it in for a free inspection as I have no faith in the car as none of this was disclosed during the sale.

I have paid for a HPI check and it has not been reported as a right off or being in an accident. Another thing that rang alarm bells is that it has been MOT’d in November 2016 when it wasn’t due until March 2017. Would I be within my rights to reject this car and return it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for any advice

• #110395 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Paul. Before you jump to conclusions, there are a couple of points:
    1) You may think the car is a Cat C write-off, but it doesn’t sound like it. A dealer must declare if a car is a Cat C or Cat D at point of sale. HPI uses official government data, so if their check comes back clear then the car has not been declared a write-off.

2) Many dealers will offer all their used cars with a full 12-month MOT at point of sale, and indeed it is good practice to do so for both seller and buyer. It ensures that the dealer can address any roadworthiness issues before the car is sold, and it can be used as evidence if you bring a claim under the Consumer Rights Act.

It is not illegal for a dealer to sell a car which has been damaged and repaired. They also do not have to declare any repair work to you unless you specifically ask about it. When buying a used car there will always be an element of “buyer beware”, and a responsibility for you to inspect the vehicle thoroughly and ask questions about any aspect of the vehicle that concern you.

If you have bought the car via a distance sale (eg – conducted over the phone, vehicle delivered to you without you having previously seen it), you have 14 days to reject it. If you purchased the car at a dealer’s premises, you don’t have that right.

You are within your rights to have the radiator pipe repaired, assuming that you have not caused the damage yourself and therefore it would have been like that at point of sale. On its own, it’s probably not sufficient cause to reject the vehicle.

Reply To: Used Volkswagen Golf with crash damage

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1