Can the BMW i3 save the electric vehicle industry?

Home Forums Blogs Can the BMW i3 save the electric vehicle industry?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  allenfletch66 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Electric car sales have been shocking, but can the new BMW i3 turn things around for the industry? The Car Expert looks at the challenges it faces.

http://thecarexpert.co.uk/bmw-i3-electric-car/

BMW i3 - electric car saviour?

• #4693 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I think that as BMW are introducing a range extended i3 quite late in the day, in terms of its development life, pretty much sums up their attitude to where pure electric sales are headed: I suspect the range extender will be the biggest seller.

That being said, as a BMW, the EV will be priced much like many another BMW so it is a smaller leap for the purchaser, so minded to shell out £30-£35K on a car, to perhaps go with an i3 EV over, say, a 125i. Or 320d.

If 22 i3s turn up on Top Gear, in a couple of years, being used to play football, that will probably give us some idea of where it is headed. The true appeal, at the moment, of an i3 is that it seems to get Audi fanboys really annoyed which is both amusing and concerning.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #4850 Reply
    richoeyes
    richoeyes
    Participant

This has popped up in the ES today:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/shock-for-boris-johnson-as-his-electric-cars-mission-slumps-8753709.html

I do tend to optimism still, in spite of the political grouching in the above article. This may be a simplistic view (well, it IS a simplistic view), but I believe that the majority of the car-buying public are firstly largely unaware/ignorant of the potential advantages, and secondly, as has been clearly pointed out above, there is very little financial incentive. For me, the immediate future for electric cars has to be city-based, but the chief blocking point to gaining momentum in electric car sales in cities is the need to convince city-dwellers that they need a car at all!

• #4853 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I’ve recently read, elsewhere, that with the £5000 tax funded inducement, this will come in at a touch over £25K.

With that in mind, BMW may just have cracked it and I fail to see how it won’t sell, to the extent that, once the subsidy comes off, they may just be able to keep an entry level model at the £25k price, if not lower.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #8506 Reply

allenfletch66
    Participant

BMW offers an interesting option. Unlike other automakers, who have kept models strictly electric or strictly hybrid, BMW is hedging its bets with the i3. In addition to the all-electric version, buyers can choose to equip the i3 with a 34-hp 650cc range-extending two-cylinder engine, essentially turning the car into a Volt-like series hybrid. That engine will not power the wheels but will serve strictly as a back-up power reserve, adding range and versatility.

Reply To: Can the BMW i3 save the electric vehicle industry?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1