- 24 February 2015 at 10:33 pm #65118
Hi, Myself and the other half were looking for a new car and went over to Fiat to look at the 500L mpw 7 seater.
They only had 1 in stock and it had a flat battery so we couldn’t test drive or even look in the boot! We didn’t like the colour/Style etc plus it was the wrong model, so they said they could get another one in for us to look at, we went back in side to talk about price etc and they worked out how much per month deposit and part ex, After that we went a and spoke to the finance manager who took all our details regarding finance Application and my Mrs signed to say everything was correct, as we were planning on placing £1000 cash deposit they explained that £250 would need to be taken once we agreed to have the car to secure it and we would come back with the remaining £750 + part x and finalise the finance, but nothing would be taken unless we agreed to have the car, They took my card details by writing them down on the top of the form (I didn’t sign anything) and we then talked about gap insurance. After that we left with them saying when we get the car in you can come and have a look/test drive.
later that day they called to say we had been accepted for the finance???
Yesterday just over a week later they called to say the car was in did we want to come over to have a look/test drive? As our current car is now a no runner they said they would come too us which they did. We both drove the car, asked some questions about the finance etc they said they would be in touch about answering the questions, we didn’t hear back from them and due to our circumstances changing we decided to not go ahead with the car. I called them today to explain and apologise for any inconvenience caused, I then asked about the £250 and said obviously this won’t be taken now??? He replied with it has yes?? and I couldn’t get a refund? ? I then asked to speak to the business manager and they said he was in a meeting and would call me back, after waiting from 1pm I kept calling back asking for him but no call was made to me by the close of business at 7pm tonight.
Finance isn’t in my name?
They explained that if we didn’t want the car the £250 wouldn’t be taken?
I never signed anything? ?
Mrs only signed for a credit check?
We’ve have had zero paperwork?
Thanks for reading hope it all makes sense.
- 25 February 2015 at 3:34 pm #65124
Hi Wayne. Sounds like a typical old-school car dealer, trying to pull a fast one and then hoping to keep you from walking away by holding your deposit.
Quite clearly, they can’t behave like this. Call the dealership and ask to speak to the Dealer Principal. Find out his name and email him with all the details above. You’ll get your money back, as you clearly didn’t authorise anything and have not signed a contract. IF you don’t get a prompt response, talk to Fiat head office and complain about the dealer’s conduct.
Although they have clearly been misleading you, you should still not have signed anything or given them any card details before deciding that you want the car. To a dealer, a signature and a card payment is a green light to a sale, and they will always assume you are buying. Never give a car dealer any money if you are not 100% committed to buying. It’s much harder to get it back after the event.
Hi, Thank you for your prompt reply.
Called the dealership today and spoke to the Dealership Director, I had to explain the situation to him (also the £250 deposit was taken the day after we visited the showroom!! We hadn’t even seen a car we wanted yet!!) I recorded the call as well but he was informed of this. Anyway he was actually quite easy to deal with which made things good, he apologise and said the £250 would be refunded ASAP.
He did explain that the process was standard dealer practice which I find amazing.
So all in all Lesson learned by us and thank you for the info you provide.
Wayne & Kate
P.s the sales guy was really polite and helpful and not at all pushing us, Its just a shame the others involved let the side down.27 February 2015 at 4:06 pm #65134