Car finance. Registered Keeper.

Home Forums Car finance Car finance. Registered Keeper.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Rachael

Good morning everyone,

My father bought a car from the car people round 6 weeks ago. Whilst looking for the finance we told the sales chap that my dad would be on the agreement but the car would be for me. I would be driving the car and paying for the car. We tried a few companies and got accepted with Santander. They took both my fathers details and mine. The sales man called this agreement an accommodation agreement due to the fact my father would be the actual owner but car was for me.

Everything has been fine until we sent the V5 off as me as the reistered keeper. Now Santander have said that this is not allowed and the agreement needs to be settled In full. We obviously went into the car people together and explained the whole situation and now we are faced with this.

Is there any advice on this please? Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks Rachael.

• #113917 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Rachael. Yes, it is an accommodation deal and it will be a violation of Santander’s lending policy. It is almost certainly stated in the finance agreement that the borrower must also be the registered keeper and main driver of the vehicle.

The dealer should not have proceeded with the application knowing that the finance company would not allow it. You will have to fight this with the dealership, as the finance company is simply going to chase you (since you are the one in breach of the contract). It is likely to be a difficult fight, as the dealer will probably deny all knowledge – and you probably don’t have any written proof to back up what you claim the salesman told you.

For more information, have a read of our article about accommodation deals.

Reply To: Car finance. Registered Keeper.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1