Car sale and purchase advice, simple answers needed

Home Forums Buying a Car Car sale and purchase advice, simple answers needed


This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #121627 Reply


    Hi all,

    I’m struggling to find black and white answers to specific questions I have about car sales, i’m hoping you can help.

    It’s for the scrap heap, I am going to get it SORN and cancel the insurance, I want to try sell it as spares and repairs first. Do I need to complete a V5C for this? I don’t recall ever receiving one when I bought the car, do I have to submit a V62 and pay for it?

    I need to tax it and insure it right away, I will likely need to do this before the seller has sent off their section of the V5C, will there be any issues?
    Should i just receive my new v5c in the post or is there something I have to do?

  • #122060 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson

    Hi Chris. As far as I’m aware, you will need to either declare it SORN or have a valid V5C registration certificate to prove that you are allowed to sell the vehicle.

    You are correct that you need to tax and insure the car – there shouldn’t be any issues as this is now required by the DVLA, and the paperwork follows along afterwards to allow the seller to cancel his/her registration payments. As part of the online or phone registration process, you provide your details to the DVLA and your V5C will arrive in the mail eventually.

    For more information, check out our article about the new road tax rules.

Reply To: Car sale and purchase advice, simple answers needed

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password