Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge

Home Forums Technical Discussions Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

Ben

Hi!

I have a question about a 1998 Toyota Starlet (EP91). For the last 18 months of so the MIL has come on from time to time, usually when the engine is somewhere between cold and normal running temperature, but occasionally when it’s been warm for a while. I finally got around to getting a warning code from it, and it came back with 22, indicating an issue with the coolant temperature sensor.

I researched the correct part to buy, and decided that Cambiare VE375145 would do the job, so bought one. After installing it, the engine appeared to run find, but I noticed that after a driving for a few minutes, the temperature gauge was right off the scale. I stopped and opened the bonnet, but there was nothing to indicate that the engine was actually overheating.

Once back home I re-fitted the old sensor, and the temperature gauge behaved normally again. Everything seemed fine so I left it. However, this morning from a cold start it wasn’t happy at all – at best it would idle slowly for a few seconds and with the MIL lit before cutting out. I put the new sensor back in, and it burst into life with no problems. But the temperature gauge was playing up again – with the engine almost cold it was in the middle of the scale.

So now I have:

Old sensor: temp gauge works, but engine won’t start properly
    New sensor: temp gauge over-reads, but engine starts

Any ideas about what’s going on here and what I should do (other than just take it to a garage)? Is the new sensor partially faulty, perhaps? Or is there some sort of calibration of the temp gauge that needs to be done when the sensor is changed?

• #84013 Reply

Marcus AJ

Hi Ben, I have exactly the same problem with a Cambiare VE375145 which I bought to replace the original im my Subaru Outback 3.0l H6 2002. The old unit gave a faulty code but was still functional. The new one is functional but runs off the scale (H++) aafter short warm up. Did you resolve your problem. Was the unit replaced, and with what?

• #84083 Reply

Marcus AJ

I do hate forum threads that lead nowhere, so I though I should follow up on my last entry. I have taken the Cambiare unit back to the suppliers and purchased an Intermotor air temp sensor (INT55582) which was also listed as compatible with the Subaru Outback H6 2002. I fitted it outside the shop and so was able to confirm immediately that the temp on the dashboard gauge was giving a sensible reading – it was, and the gauge no longer rises to the maximum. My conclusion has to be that either the Cambiare sensor was faulty, or that the VE375145 is not suitable for the outback H6.
    I had previously called the Cambiare Hotline about the issue. They were very polite and knowledgeable but said they had had no complaints about this item
    – until I directed them to this forum and Ben’s original problem. The motor factors shop will send the sensor back to Cambiare for QC testing. Once this is done I hope to get my money back under Cambiare’s warranty policy.
    So, although I cannot say whether the unit or the compatibility listing was at fault, my problem is resolved albeit at some cost, as the Intermotor part was more than double the price of the Cambiare sensor! Lesson- cheapest isn’t always best.

• #84124 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Thanks for the update Marcus, it is massively helpful for people to report back with their outcomes so others can benefit!

Reply To: Coolant temperature sensor and temperature gauge

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1