Driving in French Alps; winter tyres

Home Forums Any Other Business Driving in French Alps; winter tyres

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by The Colonel The Colonel 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

cornel

Hi all,

I am planning a trip to French Alps, and I was wondering if winter tyres are mandatory in that region ? If yes, could I use M+S tyres as well ? Another question: two tyres are enough ? or it has to be four ?

Thanks

• #18618 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Check the websites of the local authorities and contact your insurance company for advice, as they will be able to tell you if it is mandatory or recommended.

As for two vs. four tyres, four is a definite must. The whole point of winter tyres is that they give much better grip in cold and snowy conditions. All four tyres are important at maintaining grip to allow you to accelerate, brake and steer the vehicle.

• #19045 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Winter (M+S) tyres are not a legal requirement, though highly recommended for such areas, but if you are going into a region where snow on the roads is expected – Alps, February, pretty much – then you should have snow chains available. You will see white on blue signs that show a tyred-wheel with snow chains on them (known as a B26). This is when you know you are in such an area.

The police do checks, with road blocks and random roadside, and if you are found not to have snow chains, you will be turned away from the area.

Snowsocks are legal for use too.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

Reply To: Driving in French Alps; winter tyres

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1