Freelander

Home Forums Buying a Car Freelander

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Angus Young Angus Young 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

I currently have an 08 plate Jaguar X-Type 2.2 diesel.

I’m thinking of swapping it for a 2010/11 freelander diesel HSE.

Anyone got one? Any thoughts?

Going my own way since 1982, not sure where I'll end up but you're welcome to come along for the ride.

• #3455 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I had an 11-plate TD4 manual as a company car for about 4 months. It was perfectly fine, but lacked any kind of character. Practical, surprisingly reliable for a Land Rover, but not very fuel-efficient. Back seats had enough room for a couple of adults to ride in comfort, boot size was good.

Friends all called it the She-lander, so I guess it won’t improve your projected masculinity… :wink:

• #3456 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I’m not sure comparing with something 11 years older is especially useful, but wife had a 99 Freelander and I was never particularly enamoured with it. Engine (1.8 petrol) was poor. It never felt very nice to drive – competent but not really something that I’d ever want to drive. The interior was OK (it was a limited edition, leather, extra knobs, etc), but I always felt like I was going to tip out of the seat – it was an odd shape (or maybe my derriere is, but I’ve never experienced that lack of ease in any other car or tractor).

I’m sure someone will be along to say the Freelander 2 is like the Space Shuttle after they stopped all the gases leaking out.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #3457 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I think that the school uniform-wearing guitarist former known as Lesia has some experience in a Freelander 2, so hopefully he’ll have something to add

• #3473 Reply
    rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

If you love driving- and I assume you do- a 4×4 is not the way to go unless you do a lot of offroading. If you do, I would buy a cheap old banger for the mudslinging and a decent car for the road stuff. I’ve driven a Freelander and thought it was… nice. Pleasant interior for the driver and felt quite ‘airy’ for me but that was about it I’m afraid.

But as Stu says, the artist-formerly-known-as-Lesia44 has driven his parents one if I remember rightly.

• #3474 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

Scrub the freelancer idea, work have offered me an Evoque if I wait til july.

Going my own way since 1982, not sure where I'll end up but you're welcome to come along for the ride.

• #3476 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

work have offered me an Evoque if I wait til july.

You actually make that sound like a challenge in the form of a threat.

:)

"Capable of what?"

• #3480 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

The Colonel wrote:

work have offered me an Evoque if I wait til july.

You actually make that sound like a challenge in the form of a threat.

:)

At least he has 3 months notice to find a new job!

• #3482 Reply
    rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

sackedstig wrote:Scrub the freelancer idea, work have offered me an Evoque if I wait til july.

You need Fidji to join the forum to tell you how wrong you are if you get one! :-D

I really like them but they are phenomenally expensive. Your company is clearly doing very well!

• #3485 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

rich_uk wrote:

sackedstig wrote:Scrub the freelancer idea, work have offered me an Evoque if I wait til july.

You need Fidji to join the forum to tell you how wrong you are if you get one!

But he wouldn’t be wrong having driven every version of every car imaginable while doing a 50,000 mile commute… why, that’s like money in the bank!

It could even go some way to explaining Evo’s number plate conundrum.

"Capable of what?"

• #3525 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

I have to pay £250 per month to supplement my standard allowance. My mate says if I have one he will start calling me posh spice.

I can live with that!

• #3545 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Remember you will also need to pay more tax as well,

Personal view is try not to supplement car allowances as it is dead money, spend 250 per month on something else. That could fund some decent karting.

• #3546 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

It might sound as though my advice is partisan, but I can highly recommend a Ranger Wildtrak 3.2. Very tax efficient. Not very fuel efficient.

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #3547 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

philm4000 wrote:Remember you will also need to pay more tax as well,
    Personal view is try not to supplement car allowances as it is dead money, spend 250 per month on something else. That could fund some decent karting.

I agree but if I bought a new Evoque I’d loose that in depreciation anyway but with company vehicle I pay no maintenance/insurance etc

• #3556 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Why would you want to spend your own money if you’re getting an allowance? Unless you’re planning to buy the car at the end of the agreement.?

• #3567 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

Richard wrote:Why would you want to spend your own money if you’re getting an allowance? Unless you’re planning to buy the car at the end of the agreement.?

Ive never owned a car and run it into the ground – I’ve always swapped every couple of years so the same logic would say why spend £300/month on a car when you can spend £100/month on a car – to have the car you want to drive.

If I brought a RR and swapped it in 3 years it would cost me more money than £150 in supplementary allowance and £100 in extra tax.

• #3615 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Gah! And there I was, about to jump in with my wealth of Freelander knowledge.

rich_uk wrote:
    You need Fidji to join the forum to tell you how wrong you are if you get one! :-D

Fidji will be watching so you should definitely get one, just to annoy him. Apparently I’m a big fan of the Evoque.

Reply To: Freelander

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1