Future Classic

Home Forums Buying a Car Future Classic

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Like a fine vintage wine I am looking for a future classic to lay down in a barn as a gamble investment. Spending under £4k what would you buy. My thought is to wait a couple of years and buy a 3.2 Audi TT with low miles and good bodywork for about £3k. Leave for 20 years and see. Any other ideas?

• #4103 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The BMW Z4 is now starting to hover at about that level. Or you could be brave and for a BMW 8-series. The thought of trying to deal with the complex electrics and electronics in 20 years is terrifying.

The problem with Audis and BMWs is that there are now simply so many of them around, it’s hard to know if the rare real gems will ever truly appreciate. Maybe something like a pre-GM Saab 900 could be a good bet.

An Alfa 156 may not be completely silly, either. Beautiful car, common enough for spares to be plentiful but rare enough to be something very unusual in future years.

• #4110 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

I might just be a bit biased, but i reckon future classic status is guaranteed for the Vauxhall Monaro. An MG ZT V8 should be a pretty good bet too.
    Soft tops are a good bet too. A Nissan 350Z cabriolet would be a good bet.
    The truth is though, all these cars need to be driven

• #4111 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Alfa is a good shout but I think people really want cabriolets as classic cars, I didn’t like the last spider and this one is too expensive.

The TT has real design provenance but as you say there are bucket loads of them.

I think an 80s merc SL also might be a good idea.

• #4112 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Something with a Wankel engine.

• #4113 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Something with a Wankel engine.

Yeah, RX-8s are already in that price range. You may not be able to afford the petrol to run it in 20 years’ time, though.

Reply To: Future Classic

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1