Gran Premio de España

Home Forums Motorsport Gran Premio de España

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by The Colonel The Colonel 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Well, after a couple of weeks off, F1 bursts back into life at Barcelona this weekend. It should see all the teams brining major updates to their cars, but will it shake up the pecking order?

Who do you like the look of for Catalunya on Sunday?

• #4097 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Be hard pressed to beat Alonso at home. I think Ferrari use their tyres better than the Bulls and Mercs so I’m guessing 1) Alonso 2) Raikonnen 3) Massa

• #4099 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The Red Bulls are likely to still be very strong, and it’s a track that Webber usually goes well at as well, so I’d be very surprised if at least one Red Bull isn’t on the podium. It could well be a very evenly-matched race between Red Bull, Lotus and Ferrari.

Don’t know if Mercedes will be able to keep up over a race distance, or if they will qualify strongly and fade in the race once again. Force India could be around the mark again, depending on how the big teams go with their new upgrades. The car is quick in a straight line and appears to be kinder on its tyres than the Mercedes. McLaren must be praying for some improvements, but I think they have a job ahead of them to catch the leaders in a straightforward race with no rain or safety cars.

• #4131 Reply

turbo_josh_89
    Participant

Well its Sunday morning Stu and your predictions from Wednesday are looking good so far. Personally i’m hoping that Jenson can turn it around from a long way back on the grid.

• #4137 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Thanks Josh, but at the halfway point of the race I’d say that Richard is sitting pretty!

• #4153 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Indeed, Richard correctly predicted the podium. If there was a prize, Rich, you would be winning it. But since there isn’t, you’ll have to settle for the unabashed admiration of all those who read this forum.

Two weeks until Monaco, then we can all guess again…

• #4214 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

That was well predicted by Richard. But for real sport though, in the future, the guesswork should be how many places behind, where they start, will the two Mercedes finish.

The BBC proving, once again, to be a bigger draw than Sky, with this GP. Sky’s peak audience DOWN 350,000 to just over 700,000 viewers. BBC have it live, Sky subscribers prefer the BBC. Crazy but true. Figures, generally, continue to decline, though.

Sky have Monaco exclusively live. If they’re peak isn’t punching upwards of 2 million, for this “crown jewel” of a race, especially if the Bank Holiday weekend weather is traditionally pissy, they should probably pack up and go home.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #4215 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The numbers do seem odd, especially the idea that Sky subscribers would choose to watch the BBC coverage instead of the one they have paid for.

I watched quali on the BBC (as I wasn’t at home), and I still much prefer the Sky coverage. Watching the Sky coverage later that night, which I had recorded, the quality of commentary from Brundle and Croft, with insights from Kravitz, is much better than the BBC combo IMO (with the honourable exception of Coulthard, who is very good). I do think the BBC setup is better for the casual viewer – albeit Brundle on Sky has an excellent knack for explaining complex concepts in lay terms – while Sky provides more insights for the serious F1 enthusiast.

I was pleasantly surprised with Eddie Jordan doing the podium interviews – got the crowd involved, invited Alonso to speak to them in Spanish, all good stuff. Just needs someone else to write his questions for him and have him read them verbatim, rather than his own rambling question-statements.

• #4216 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div>The numbers do seem odd, especially the idea that Sky subscribers would choose to watch the BBC coverage instead of the one they have paid for.

Which begs the question, just how many new subscribers have Sky picked up as a result of having 10 F1 races exclusively live? As I understand it, and you will know better than me, existing subscribers with certain packages would get F1 as part of their package anyway, so there would be no loss in having a preference for the BBC on a race shown live.

As it happens the general drop in audience almost matches that of Sky’s drop, so it is possible that those Sky viewers just didn’t bother to tune in but, as you say, if you’ve paid for it..? In addition, the historic pattern proves Sky’s drop when the BBC go live.

I see ITV being a big player when the rights come up next time. It may be possible that, if their good work on the BTCC is maintained, TOCA could shift the calendar so that BTCC weekends don’t clash with F1 weekends – there wouldn’t be many to move, and maybe, just maybe, an extra Silverstone round could be added for a real event alongside F1.

I don’t have a particular hankering for ITV to show F1, again, but they are growing strongly and looking for sports. It would give the BBC a bloody nose, and, unless things improve dramatically, I don’t imagine Sky would be too sad to wave goodbye.

Only Bernie Ecclestone might be unhappy, so that would be a great day for everyone (arguably, he’d be out of the picture by then)!

I’m not sure about the podium interviews, though Eddie Jordan is growing on me but that is more to do with following his sail around the world than his appearances on the BBC. Garry Anderson is doing an excellent job though.

"Capable of what?"

• #4218 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

What would be interesting to know is how many subscribers Sky considers to be required for their F1 coverage to be viable. Obviously their costs are paid by a combination of subscribers and advertisers, but advertisers would want to see as many viewers as possible and if Sky’s viewer numbers are dropping then advertising revenue is sure to follow.

You are correct in that plenty of Sky subscribers have the F1 channel without specifically paying for it (like me, which was a pleasing result as I would have paid!) or even wanting it. I’m not sure that they have put too much effort into tempting existing Sky subscribers who have the F1 channel to start watching it, and instead seem to concentrate on using F1 as a reason to sign up for Sky.

• #4221 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

(Sky) seem to concentrate on using F1 as a reason to sign up for Sky.

I’d agree, but I’d be suprised if that number exceeded a quarter of a million and further significant growth will only come if they manage to secure full live exclusivity from the BBC, and would probably need losing any form of highlights from terrestrial TV.

Certainly, with top level sports broadcasting, it seems that it is drifting away from the provision of TV broadcasting towards the provision of video over broadband. I don’t believe they’ll go after F1, but BT are going nuts, having secured MotoGP (from the BBC) from next year with no sign, from DORNA, that any highlights will find their way onto terrestrial. They’ve got Indycar, too.

"Capable of what?"

Reply To: Gran Premio de España

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1