Grand Prix de Monaco

Home Forums Motorsport Grand Prix de Monaco

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by The Colonel The Colonel 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Well, Thursday morning means practice on the streets of Monte Carlo. The big debate revolves around Mercedes’ chances given that they should qualify well and have their best chance all year of keeping ahead of the chasing pack.

But do you really think Lewis or Britney can win this Sunday? Monaco is not traditionally tough on tyres, so Vettel and Webber should be competitive in the Red Bulls, and Alonso should be as strong as ever, although he hasn’t won at Monaco since 2007.

Or will we get an upset? Di Resta has been looking good in the Force India, Massa has shown flashes of brilliance in the past in Monaco and could be due a win, Kimi has won in Monaco previously for McLaren, and Button’s precise driving style could suit the unforgiving nature of the street circuit.

Place your bets, everyone. Richard was the winner last time out in Spain, correctly predicting all 3 podium spots. Who will it be this week?

• #4320 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Keep promising myself I’m going to go one day… and one day I might just get round to it. Been the a couple of times on non race days and it’s fascinating, so it must be great when the race is on.

• #4329 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Angus Young wrote:</div>Keep promising myself I’m going to go one day… and one day I might just get round to it. Been the a couple of times on non race days and it’s fascinating, so it must be great when the race is on.

Do it, just do it. Make it Grandstand T, for the pit action, or K if you prefer a sea view, but either give the best value. To be honest the best race, or the one I prefer the most, of the day is the Porsche Supercup, but it’s a great day out nevertheless, for your £300 or so and, at least, once it’s all over you have somewhere to go afterwards, unlike most other GPs (heading straight for the station is not advised).

Buy your tickets from ACM too; don’t go through any other clowns.

I’m thinking, for the race, Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #4342 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Amusing to read the vague indignation regarding Seb Vettel’s newest helmet design. For those that haven’t seen it, it was “inspired by Stirling Moss”. This is evident in two ways: firstly, images of Moss winning at Monaco in 1961, and secondly, the heat-sensitive ‘crumpet’ on the back of the helmet.

When the helmet is cold, we see a bikini-clad girl on the back of the lid:

And once it warms up, the bikini vanishes:

Never will so many people be so interested to see footage from an over-the-shoulder camera on a car. Will be interesting to see whether FOM give it much coverage or whether they give it a wide berth to avoid any grief from Daily Mail-style wowsers. I imagine there will be a whole horde of photographers following him around waiting for his head to warm up…

• #4343 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

For my picks, as much as Britney looked comfortable and quick over short runs yesterday, I’m guessing that both Mercs will fall short over a race distance. Alonso FTW, ahead of Vettel and Webber.

• #4358 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I’m a bit reluctant to make predictions for this weekend, as my average is only going to go down! But I’d say:
    Rosberg
    Alonso
    Hamilton

and I love Vetel’s helmet design, but I can already hear OAPs bashing keyboards writing to the Mail

• #4371 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Vettel helmet update – he had a different helmet on for qualifying. Given how often he changes helmets, it’s hard to know if this was a scheduled or unscheduled helmet change…

• #4377 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Anyone seen The Colonel in the stands yet?

• #4418 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div>Anyone seen The Colonel in the stands yet?

I did. It was very unsettling.

Well done to BA for getting everyone, that was prepared to wait, to Nice, and well done to Nice Airport for helping those, that needed it, could get to wherever they were going. There were some very late arrivals.

A bit of an odd one. In some respects it was the best race of the last few years. Not just because of the incidents, (safety car = pee and a sandwhich (though not together)), but the whole theme seemed to be one of looking for, and taking, a chance, despite the Mercedes being driven around ever so gently, which is rare for Monaco where measured patience always seems to be the watchword, until the rain starts.

The atmosphere was even uplifted, on the whole – last year was oddly tense, due, in part, to shity stewarding (of the stands, not the race).

From a TV perspective interesting to see that Sky didn’t punch up above one million viewers, let alone get to what they should be looking at for an exclusive crown jewel. 855K, against 565k for 2012 (when the BBC had it live too). Canada next, live on the BBC in primetime.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

Reply To: Grand Prix de Monaco

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1