Help: What are my rights.?

Home Forums Buying a Car Help: What are my rights.?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 5 days, 17 hours ago.

• Author

J

I paid a £500 deposit for a used car now the used car place say they need the remaining balance to be transferred to an account before I can collect the car. Is this standard practice or should I be worried? I can demand I wait until I have the keys to pay remaining balance?

• #122961 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

No, that’s standard practice. A dealer will always insist on full payment into their bank account before releasing the car. They will not give you the keys without your payment in full.

Ming

Hi, can anyone give me some advice regarding my purchase used car not as described? Before I make my way to test drive I do have inform the dealer regarding my location is 350mile away. I have ask lot of questions and details regarding the car condition and any parts missing, the dealer inform me all parts are present and the car are scratch free and ready to drive off with full MOT. So me n my wife purchase the train ticket to the location and have cost us £350 single way. When we reach there the dealer inform us V5 not ready till next week n guarantee us are safe n legal to drive, ok then we going back to town to bank in the balance and realised the key so we ask and she told us only 1…. in this moment we both are nowhere, tired, hungry and frustrated and We both are first time second hand buyer and trust the dealer 13years experience so we bank in the balance. When we finally get the car we drive home for 5 1/2 hours. The first thing we noticed is heavy smoke when Speedtest 0-50miles and next day I check MOT result and the advisor note engine cover fitted but when we drive to our local n friends garage they told us the front bumper been nail polishes paint and will poorly damage the car paint, second is the engine cover is missing, third is car need to do another service due to heavy smoke, fourth is service book missing, sensor paint falling apart due to heavy rain on the nite we drive home, fifth is rear number plate falling, sixth is tyre need to be change coz is very slippery the nite we drive home, seventh is key missing one. With all this reason can it possible to return for full refund or partial refund?

Many thank,
    Ming

• #123618 Reply

Louise

Hi. Basically I bought a car 14 days ago. Driving tthe vehicle back home I noticed there was a loud crunching sound from the car. I phones the dealer straight away and I said I think it may be a wheel bearing. He advised me to bring the car back in a couple of days. When I returned the car I was advised that this was the gearbox and to return this the following week for the work to be carried out. The vehicle is now extremely loud there is a knocking from the right hand side when turning and the vehicle fluid now has become a different colour indicating further problems. After researching the dealer on the Internet I have seen that he was charged in court for selling vehicles that were un roadworthy and dangerous so when I have taken the vehicle in I advised him that I wanted to reject the vehicle under the consumer rights act. I have taken advice from a solicitor and that I would leave the vehicle with him. He became extremely agressive and has refused to take the vehicle back and that he would fix it. I have left the vehicle as we were getting nowhere and he has refused to help. He has also provided me with with a courtesy car that he informed me is accident damaged and that the windows and roof don’t work. This is also unsafe. What do I do now?

• #123745 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Louise. If you have formally rejected the car (which should be in writing rather than verbally) and the dealer refuses to accept your rejection, you will need to bring action against him – which usually means legal action. I would suggest talking to a lawyer to maximise your chances of success.

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1