Introduce Yourself

Home Forums New and News Introduce Yourself

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 60 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

With the sad news that the Autocar forum is being closed, I hope we’ll get a few of their regulars popping up here to chat and share their collective automotive wisdom. As this is a new forum, I figured I should add a thread for people to introduce themselves and tell us all what they are hoping to get from the forum.

stu (creator of TheCarExpert.co.uk, writer of most of the articles although looking for more people to contribute!)

turbo_josh_89
    Participant

Looks like I get to kick off the introductions –

I’m Josh and have been on the autocar forum under a different alias for several months. Now that autocar has bitten the dust, i’ve come over here for a look. I’d just like to say thanks to stu for setting up a forum here in very quick time once we realised what was going on at autocar. Especially in including some of the features we have asked for over there but never got, like the ability to subscribe to topics and like/dislike posts.

The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Stand by your beds, The Colonel here.

Just to be clear, my username isn’t me getting ideas above my station. It is a tribute to someone who I very much admired and who passed away some years ago. He was a lifelong, career soldier. A Brigadier (one up from a Colonel!) in the Pakistan Army, and a magnificent moustache to match. He was a friend and neighbour who, upon seing my Silver Grey Z4M for the first time instantaneously named it “The Colonel” and so it stuck – I am aware of the “Nazi Staff Car” connotations, but he actually fought in the war, as a boy almost, so I’ll take it from him.

I’m less into cars and more into motoring, enjoying the journey as much, if not slightly more, than the tool. My overwhelming memory of “car ownership” as a child was one of my father getting ever more miserable as he attempted to repair something on a Wolseley/Hillman/Ford/Vauxhall, on a wet Sunday afternoon, so I swore to always have the best, newest, and most exciting car that I could manage to have and so far, in twenty years of motoring, it has held me in good stead.

Thank you to Disco for setting up this refugee colony.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

I’m currently by my bed as I type this because I always do what the Colonel says…

I love cars and dream of owning a V8 engined beast one day but my head rules my heart at the moment so I’ve reverted to owning a 4-pot diesel. It is a 120d and it’s a decent car; quick but not so quick that I’ll kill myself when I drive it like I stole it. And it returns 45mpg no matter how much I push the pedal to the metal.

I love driving the most and I have an awesome journey to work that has pretty much every time type of challenge a road can give you. I only hit a tree once.

I drive a lot at work too. I’m a Tesco delivery driver but I’ve purported to be a police officer on the Autocar forum the past few years… oh, and I think Jim Holder is a shite editor which I couldn’t get away with saying on what became the Democratic People’s Republic of Autocar.

And to non-autocar refugees (TBH copyright) Stu can give pretty good car buying advice but us ex-forumistas are much better! ;)

I have been a regular reader of autocar for many years and, although I didn’t post very much at all on the forum, I read it religiously morning, lunch and night. Have always enjoyed reading the regulars posts but didn’t not comment very often as I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys. I did, however, always think The Colonel was a massive fan of KFC!

I am massively into cars and enjoy being out in my car as much as possible to see what else I can spot on the road. I like all sorts of cars and, for my sins, currently drive a dsg equipped hatch with rear tinted windows… Though the car is black so less noticeable! I buy what I like and what suits my needs. I even like the evoque and I’ve owned diesels in the past and would happily do so again in the future.

My only hope from this forum is to read lots of differing thoughts on lots of motor related topics and enjoy the banter which goes along with it. Hope this forum becomes a real success.

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Hi folks

It’s Angus from now on.

Turns out there are a few Lesia44s on the net and being mistakenly ‘outed’ as a 44 year old black woman from Stockwell looking for love (I’m not making this up!) tells me it’s time for a change. Might take a while for a few of the long-timers to get used to it but I’m sure as soon as I start the ‘insistent contrarian’ thing you’ll feel right at home!

For those who don’t know, I like cars. All cars. Even the cars I don’t like. In fact, I think it’s driving that I really like.

Thanks Stu for setting this up and, in particular, for setting up a forum that, at first glance at least, seems to be fully functional. I mean, in this day and age, who has a forum that doesn’t even spell check? Oh yes… Autocar. This is going to save me hours of composing in Text Edit and copying and pasting into the forum.

I’m sure it will be slow around here at first, but at some point it will probably pick up and we can all start talking rubbish again as usual.

Now, who’s going to have the last post at Autocar…

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Have always enjoyed reading the regulars posts but didn’t not comment very often as I’m not as knowledgeable as you guys.

Don’t worry, it’s smoke and mirrors from most of us!

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

… being mistakenly ‘outed’ as a 44 year old black woman from Stockwell looking for love (I’m not making this up!) tells me it’s time for a change.

So now you’re a 58-year-old Scottish-born Australian guitarist who enjoys a good school uniform? ;)

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Angus Young wrote:
    … being mistakenly ‘outed’ as a 44 year old black woman from Stockwell looking for love (I’m not making this up!) tells me it’s time for a change.

So now you’re a 58-year-old Scottish-born Australian guitarist who enjoys a good school uniform?

Yes, I think that makes me a little more interesting, don’t you…

The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Yes, I think that makes me a little more interesting, don’t you…

To be honest I’d prefer you to be a 44 year old black woman from Stockwell looking for love.

"Capable of what?"

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Isn’t it ironic that the very last post ever over at Autocar was by a troll. Fitting and says it all really about they way that place was run. That they take down Rich’s post yet leave a troll post up as the final post just sums the whole mess up rather poetically. I doubt they’ll get it at Autocar Towers, though.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

As much as I don’t want to propagate any anti-Autocar discussions here and would rather we all move on to a bright and shiny future, it has been amusing to see (via Google Analytics) a steady stream of traffic to the website from the Teddington area, all referred from autocar.co.uk. So I guess somebody there is having a look!

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

They might be looking for tips on how to run a forum… :-)

sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

@iamthestig returns! lets hope this can get back to the good old days!

Going my own way since 1982, not sure where I'll end up but you're welcome to come along for the ride.

tegtyper
    Participant

I get married, go on honeymoon and come back to a closed Autocar forum………

So, who am I?

I am who I’ve always been and I don’t fancy changing, user name or personality.

Certainly, whilst I would still love to do something car orientated as a job (as opposed to running my own business in industrial supplies), I now have no desire to be a journalist on a magazine such as Autocar as there appears to be far to much politics and general BS.

Still whilst there are forums like this………

Personally though, the demise is no bad thing and times move on!

Best of luck Stu with this and hopefully you can make a success of it where they couldn’t.

It's still all about the twisties.......

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Congratulations Teg!

Tannedbaldhead

Tanned here. MX5 and Mercedes driving underemployed quantity surveyor. Half Italian, half Irish, spent most of my life in Scotland.

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

TBH,
    Saw that you ventured onto PH… How are you finding it?

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Well, it didn’t take long for Pistonheads to show its true colours. Just take a look at TBH’s thread and see where it’s gone in just a few pages…

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1269425&mid=105819&nmt=Autocar+Refugees

One poster in particular seems suspiciously familiar. Think I’ll give it a miss.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Obviously any forum is what the members make it. I hope that this place can be a positive platform for spirited discussions and shared experiences, and I certainly don’t want to be spending all my spare time playing policeman if things kick off. Since we’re (presumably) all adults, let’s just behave like them, eh?

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

Ah yes! I see the LA stalker has now had to move onto PH. He must be gutted that he can’t find LA these days. I feel special now that he’s mentioned me and I’m sure you do as well! Don’t think he realises that you can still see my post that was deleted… Doh!

I hope this forum works as Stu has done a great job and it’s a decent website. I guess time will tell…

On the car stuff, still not got my Polo back! It’s now been a 14 week wait for the wiring loom and still no end in sight…

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

rich_uk wrote:Ah yes! I see the LA stalker has now had to move onto PH. He must be gutted that he can’t find LA these days. I feel special now that he’s mentioned me and I’m sure you do as well! Don’t think he realises that you can still see my post that was deleted… Doh!
    I hope this forum works as Stu has done a great job and it’s a decent website. I guess time will tell…

Actually, it’s the familiar double act. Same old M.O.

rich_uk wrote:

On the car stuff, still not got my Polo back! It’s now been a 14 week wait for the wiring loom and still no end in sight…

How can it take 14 weeks to get a wiring loom? That’s bizarre. There must be a Polo wiring loom somewhere on the planet. A few, probably. I just got a hand made iPad case, only one of its kind in the world made by a little old lady in Brazil, delivered in 5 days.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Interesting to note that the particular poster of interest on the PH forum only joined in the last few days, and has spent 9 of his first 12 posts flaming the Autocar forum members…

(his other 3 posts were spent flaming New Zealanders, but that’s acceptable :wink: )

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

A VW Polo wiring loom takes 8 weeks to make apparently. I can only assume it’s to do with space and time in the factory making looms for new cars. So one did arrive about four weeks ago. The garage had a real problem fitting it and after some considerable time finally realised that the Germans had sent across a wiring loom or a left hand drive…!
    So, the supplier (TPS) has paid for a hire car until the correct one arrives. Fair play to TPS but a poor effort from VAG. My wife is not very impressed!

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

Angus Young wrote: I just got a hand made iPad case, only one of its kind in the world made by a little old lady in Brazil, delivered in 5 days.

That’s what you think. Have a closer look and you’ll find the ‘made in China’ stamp in the bottom left corner! :wink:

onehorsepower
    onehorsepower
    Participant

275not599, late of the Autocar forums, is dead. He was eliminated after failure to score the very last post on Autocar. To be fair, he was on a plane all day Thursday, returning to his home in California after a family visit to England, but there is no excuse for failure.

His place has been taken by a new guy whose other car is a horse. Alas, horses are like people, not cars, in that their value peaks then depreciates eventually to nothing, and they become not classics but bittersweet memories.

tannedbaldhead
    Participant

rich_uk wrote:TBH,Saw that you ventured onto PH… How are you finding it?

Haven’t been on much. What I said on my intro was I felt like a “country boy in the big city”. Threads get buried quickly and it lacks a personal touch. If a forum is a pub Autocar was the village pub whereas PH is a big town centre Wetherspoons. See Plummy and Steely have jumped on and hi-jacked my polite “hello” and “any old Autocaistas out there” thread. Grim!

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

rich_uk wrote:A VW Polo wiring loom takes 8 weeks to make apparently. I can only assume it’s to do with space and time in the factory making looms for new cars. So one did arrive about four weeks ago. The garage had a real problem fitting it and after some considerable time finally realised that the Germans had sent across a wiring loom or a left hand drive…!
    So, the supplier (TPS) has paid for a hire car until the correct one arrives. Fair play to TPS but a poor effort from VAG. My wife is not very impressed!

One would assume that they had a certain number of those just sitting on a shelf somewhere. This is when all this ‘just in time’ practice falls shown.

The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

the Germans had sent across a wiring loom or a left hand drive…!

They should probably try turning it over.

:)

When my wife had a problem with her SLK roof it was a succession of comedic errors that led to my wife almost popping a vein in her head, but I found the whole thing so funny – to be fair to MB (for they dealt with it directly), they were always suitably embarrased when a new glitch found its way into the process, no less so than when, the night before she was due to collect it, the wheels got nicked!

"Capable of what?"

philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

PhilM4000 here, probably the most non controversial poster. Always enjoyed the forum, thanks Stu for setting this up. Autocar member for five and a half years.

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

Welcome PhilM4000! You don’t have to be controversial to be interesting :)

I’m sure there are other former regulars watching as well as newbies. Come and join us, the more the merrier :-D

gregor60
    Participant

Hi, Gregor60 here. I wasn’t a prolific poster on the Autocar forum, but I generally enjoyed the posts of those who have migrated here. Former physics teacher, now education support officer. Education columnist (criticised for mentioning cars too often) and very occasional children’s poet.

artill
    artill
    Participant

Hi Gregor, Hope you are still enjoying the Insight.

gregor60
    Participant

Certainly am, thanks. Lived up to the Honda reliability reputation and gets 20mpg more than my last auto, with similar performance and a more enjoyable drive. Soon found a local place that would service it after an initial shock when the guy I’ve used for 25 years said no. Wasn’t any dearer than my last car either.

ilsole
    Participant

Hello former Autocar contributors!
    It is Il Sole here (you can drop the ‘il’ and ‘e’ bit and just call me sol if you like!) I think i had amassed over 2000 posts before Autocar ruined the forum part of the site. Must admit I cancelled my subscription to the mag too just to spite them! Am also registered at PH, but do tend to stay clear of the general gassing bits as they can be extremely vitriolic and sometimes condescending! I quite liked TBH’s analogy of the village pub and the city centre weatherspoons for the difference between old autocar and PH. The more specific parts of PH forum are very good. I can now mostly be found in the BMW section, umming and arrring over whether to fit an LSD to my 330i…
    Anyway, well done stu for setting this up.

p.s. if you don’t remember me, or indeed only have bad memories of me, i apologise! I do remember very heated discussions with LA about VW buying Alfa…

The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Well, hello, and welcome back to normality.

I do remember very heated discussions with LA about VW buying Alfa…

Why restrict it? Most discussions involving LA turned heated…it was (is) his raison d’être.

"Capable of what?"

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

ilsole wrote:

p.s. if you don’t remember me…

Don’t be daft, I’m sure most here will remember you. I certainly do.

ilsole
    Participant

Angus Young wrote:

ilsole wrote:

p.s. if you don’t remember me…

Don’t be daft, I’m sure most here will remember you. I certainly do.

Ahh thanks :-)

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

Hi Sol, I see you still have your Beemer, are you going to fit an LSD then? I have a 120d now and I would change to non RFTs if I could afford but now I’m contemplating upgrading the radio speakers; not through BMW as the £500 they want is a little nuts so going to look into other options.

ilsole
    Participant

rich_uk wrote:Hi Sol, I see you still have your Beemer, are you going to fit an LSD then? I have a 120d now and I would change to non RFTs if I could afford but now I’m contemplating upgrading the radio speakers; not through BMW as the £500 they want is a little nuts so going to look into other options.

yeah, still got the 330i touring…since leaving Autocar though, it now has a BMW performance exhaust and a BMW performance carbon fibre induction kit…it now sounds incredible! Any tunnel I find, down come the windows and i keep it at 6,750 rpm in 2nd gear…awesome!
    Still too running non RFTs and all is well – did suffer a puncture, but as it was close to the sidewall, it would have rendered any RFT useless anyway. IMHO, on an older BM like ours, it’s better to fit non RFT.
    The ride on the new F series models is a helluva lot better on RFTs…

How’s life as a copper Rich? all good I hope!

rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

ilsole wrote:

How’s life as a copper Rich? all good I hope!

Ah, so you’ve chavved up your car then! :-P Don’t think it would work with my diesel…

I think you’re right about RFTs but with four decent tyres I begrudge spending money on replacing something which doesn’t need replacing as such.

Copper life is okay… ups and downs that I don’t need to bore anyone with on here! Still love the job though. Got a gorgeous 5 month old daughter now so priorities are a little different!

ilsole
    Participant

Ah, so you’ve chavved up your car then! :-P Don’t think it would work with my diesel…

Cheeky! I’ll have you know it’s all very tasteful…until I put my foot down of course!
    Got a gorgeous 5 month old daughter now so priorities are a little different!

congratulations! :-D
    I’ve since had a third! (second daughter, although she’s 16m old now!)

audi_a5
    audi_a5
    Participant

So this is where you all got to! Now that I have found you I am looking forward to reading more of the interesting, boring, provocative, informative, argumentative, annoying, witty and bizarre stuff that I used to see on the Autocar forum.

wanos
    Participant

HI guys,
    Good to see a few familiar faces from the autocar forum.
    I was a member for a few years (as Wanos) and have to say was disappointed to see it had been cancelled but read that Stu had started his own little discussion group.
    Hopefully a few more direct, frank, knowledgeable, funny discussions to be had on here as well.
    Thanks Wayne

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing and bad preperation"

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Welcome guys, hope you enjoy the site and can make some great contributions.

harf
    Participant

Hi All

Feels just like home. Like going to a mates wedding in some random part of the country, going to the local pub and finding it full of all your mates.

Hmmm, Autocar forum – i think enough has been said here already.

I still have the 2008 159Ti SW and the 2002 Honda Accord Type-R – both recently sailed through MOTs.

Love cars, am still an Autocar addict, but generally ignore the comments at the bottom of the features. Fascinated by design, engineering but also the marketing and the industry as a whole. Still mistified as to why you would stop producing a car when you had no replacement – yes Mr Marchionne i’m talking about you and the 159/Giulia, you muppet.

Looking forward to some wit and strong opinions being expressed in an inoffensive manner – like my Marchionne comment above of course :)

Good on yer Stu for setting this up.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

harf wrote:</div> Still mistified as to why you would stop producing a car when you had no replacement – yes Mr Marchionne i’m talking about you and the 159/Giulia, you muppet.

I think it was largely to do with the fact that Alfa was losing considerable money on the 159 and had no great development potential left in it. The delay on the Giulia happened subsequent to 159 production being stopped.

I think he’s on the right track. Alfa doesn’t need another failure, so if slowing things down gives them a better chance of success, then good.

ladygodiva
    Participant

Well, I’m sad to see the old site go but nice to see some old faces on here.

Hello. :)

How are we all doing?

I live in Gloucestershire with my fiancé and my son who is 11 months old.

We currently have a Westfield, a 350z, a Seat Leon TDi, a Mazda 3 and a Jeep grand Cherokee on the driveway. We were looking to purchase a GT3 a few months ago but further checks showed it to have rather a nasty history and we’ve just got planning permission on our house so the new car has gone out of the window. The extension is now nicknamed the GT3 wing. :)

I gave up work when I had my son which has been lovely and I have no plans to go back for some time.

Cars I’ve owned include a couple of Boxsters,an S2000, an HSV before they became proper Vauxhalls and a number or weird and wacky numbers.

I learned to love track days in my S2000 and miss it massively but Mr LG assures me ill be back in a nice RWD convertible once our son doesn’t need an ISOFIX seat so I’m living vicariously through those of you who have lovely quick cars. :)

Thankfully Mr LG also runs a Motorsport charity in his spare time so I get to do a number of events at various tracks to keep the adrenaline going. :)

ladygodiva
    Participant

Oh and more importantly what happened with LA. he was always very nice when I spoke with him on Autocar.

Much like Autocar, I’m not a prolific poster on Pistonheads either.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Oh goodie, my first moderating job.

For future reference, can all members please ensure they respect other members at all times. Outing your own identity is up to you, but outing someone else either explicitly or by association with you is not acceptable.

ladygodiva
    Participant

This is our current fleet. Nothing convertible unfortunately.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Righto, for those who have arrived late to this particular party and finding that the thread is not making a lot of sense…

We had some disagreements amount naming/identifying members and people taking offence at some previous personal comments. I have removed several posts altogether and edited/redacted sections of other comments to keep the positive bits and remove other bits – hopefully without affecting the general tone of each post.

If anyone involved has any concerns about how it has been handled, please e-mail me rather than continuing to debate the matter here. Move along, nothing more to see here…

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Oh, and to answer another question, you can only edit a post for 15 minutes, after which time it will lock – unless you are the Key Master. Which is me.

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Dang, did I miss the first flare up! Well, at least it wasn’t me. Lol!

Err… or was it? Yikes… :)

Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>ladygodiva wrote:</div>Oh and more importantly what happened with LA. he was always very nice when I spoke with him on Autocar.

He was, rather unjustly in my opinion, kicked off Autocar. A great example of the pisspoor moderating that was ultimately responsible for the forum’s demise. Sure, he could be a complete pain in the arse, seemed pathologically unable to admit to being wrong and often posted complete guff when it came to art in the mistaken belief that no-one else on the forum would know enough to rumble him. But… He was often amusing, clearly intelligent and well read, certainly brought something quite unique to the debate, was mostly harmless and was all the more interesting for his contradictions. He then gets relentlessly goaded by the forum’s persistently returning troll (masquerading as two posters and subsequently turning up in the PistonHeads Autocar thread, also as two posters). The moderators let this continue for weeks and then, when they finally took action, banned LA along with the troll. I think that’s what the kids call a ‘Fail!’

The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I have removed several posts altogether and edited/redacted sections of other comments to keep the positive bits and remove other bits

Internet censorship Nazi. I bet you ate Mein Kampf for breakfast.

Dear reader, that is not an attack against our dear leader, just an OTT example of Godwin’s Law in action. Never let us see a repeat of it.

:-P

"Capable of what?"

andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

Damn I missed the first good row of the new forum. WHo what where?

TreVoR
    Participant

Hello. TreVoR here. I used to be on the Autocar forum a very long time ago posting as SpecB. I don’t have that particular car any more and these days I run a rather lovely 5.5 litre Mercedes E500 Estate and my dream car of the 90s, a TVR Chimaera.

I am an occasional poster on PH and a regular on a previous offshoot of the failed Autocar forum and I have discovered this website.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Welcome, TreVoR! Good to have you on board.

rumball
    Participant

hi, first time I have visited here since when Autocar closed their forum and must say its improved a lot since then. Pity that more of the regulars haven’t stuck around, anyone know where they all went? keep up the good work stu.

Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi all. This thread is being closed because it no longer gets genuine traffic and has become a spam magnet. Please feel free to contribute to any of the other threads on the forum.

stuart

The topic ‘Introduce Yourself’ is closed to new replies.

Lost Password