Mazda mx 5 vs bmw 2 series

Home Forums Buying a Car Mazda mx 5 vs bmw 2 series

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author

Alex88

Hi folks,

I am planning on buying a used car, from 2015.
    I was looking at either mazda mx 5 (the latest model) or the BMW 2 series convertible or coupe.
    I know the mazda and the bmw are different cars, but i can’t decide which is a better car for the money.
    If i can get a mazda for 17000£, the bmw goes around 27000£ if convertible and 24000£ if just coupe.

I want to have a fun driving experience which would make me forget about the compromises of less boot space for example.
    I have tested both cars, and i came to a personal but maybe rush conclusion that the BMW is just too expensive for what it is. I know they tend to break easier than the japan made mx 5, and for the extra 10000£ you get in my opinion less confort in the car, and the visibility is quite similar between the mazda and the bmw.
    I live in London and i go to work via the Normal transportation.
    In the weekends i like to have fun my driving places, and maybe do the ocasional trip to france, belgium etc.
    But mostly i drive around london and its outskirts.
    What so you guys think it would be a wiser choice?

Thanks in advance – Alex

• #87603 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Alex. The BMW is slightly more practical than the Mazda in that it has rear seats and a larger boot, so you will be able to put a couple more people or extra stuff in if needed.

It may not seem that important now, but if you are planning to keep the car for at least a couple of years then there may be times when you need the extra space, or your circumstances may change. Many people have bought two-seat roadsters like the Mazda MX-5, BMW Z4 or Audi TT and then had to sell them again sooner than planned, usually at considerable expense.

It may not be relevant to your circumstances, but make sure you have a proper think about what may happen in the next 2-3 years. I haven’t driven the new Mazda yet, but by all accounts it is a cracking little car to drive, and would probably be more enjoyable for a fun weekend car than the BMW. For longer trips to France/Belgium, the BMW would probably be more comfortable and would take more luggage.

Another one to consider would be the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ. Slightly more space than the MX-5 – like the BMW is has small rear seats and a bigger boot, but is closer to the price and feel of the Mazda.

Reply To: Mazda mx 5 vs bmw 2 series

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1