Need quick advice regarding recent car finance purchase

Home Forums Car finance Need quick advice regarding recent car finance purchase

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 months, 1 week ago.

  • Author
  • #119393 Reply


    First of all I’m mortified about this situation so I’m struggling to speak to anyone regarding this but

    My old car died so I decided to go down the route of a newer model on finance. I chose a car 2013 plate, 30,000 miles on the clock on a 4 year finance deal totalling about 7k. The finance place is separate to the garage I got the car from and is also 2 hours away from my home.

    It took around 2 weeks for everything to go through car got a valet final checks etc and was delivered to me 2 weeks ago. Car had MOT no advisories in May and has only done 800 miles since the MOT.

    The first day I drove it the engine light came on the car lost all power, I pulled over restarted engine it went off and then it was fine. The next day it happened again, I rang the company and they basically didn’t believe me, I emailed over pictures of the car/the light the diagnostic that the car put on the screen itself and then I fault read it with my own cheapy one.

    It said that there was a problem with the turbo, they responded to my emails and told me to book it into a garage near me get it checked and fixed and they would pay the bill.

    It took me about 3 days to find a garage that would do anything under warranty and then accept payment over the phone from the garage. I finally found an independent garage through a recommendation and they was great.

    Unfortunately the day it was booked in the engine light went off again (it’s been on and off the whole time) they kept the car for 2 days drove it etc, couldn’t do anything though so I picked it up last Thursday.

    The finance company has refused to release the money to the garage until I’m 100% happy the fault has been fixed, the car is due back to the garage tomorrow morning 9 O Clock, the light is back on and I will not be driving it to be certain it remains on.

    In the mean time today the garage whom I got the car from has said that I must inform the finance company I’m happy with the car today or they will be out tonight to pick the car up from me. I said I’m absolutely NOT going to lie about it because the only thing I can see from then is I’m 7k in debt, a broken car and a large garage bill to get it fixed myself.

    I’ve obviously been taken for a mug here – I asked about handing the car back to them since no money has swapped hands yet and they say I’m past my 14 day give back BUT if the car is faulty I must have extra rights?

    Ideally, I’d just like the car fixed and to carry on but idk that this is even an option anymore. It’s driving me absolutely nuts. I wish I just got another run around now.

    Does anyone have any advice for me?

  • #119714 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson

    Hi Danni. If it’s a significant engine fault, you should be able to reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act. However, you won’t know this until the garage can properly diagnose the fault.

    You would need to reject the car to the finance company if it is a secured loan (PCP/hire purchase/conditional sale). If it’s an unsecured loan (like a personal loan from a bank), then you would reject it to the dealership.

    Intermittent faults are a garage nightmare, as it often happens that faults are simply not present when the technician is test driving the vehicle. Unless they keep the car for long enough for the fault to reappear, or you can drive the car straight in as soon as the fault appears, it can be a complete pain to get sorted.

Reply To: Need quick advice regarding recent car finance purchase

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password