New BMW X5 unveiled

Home Forums New and News New BMW X5 unveiled

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by liquidgold liquidgold 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

BMW has released official photos and information regarding it’s third-generation X5, which is expected to arrive in the UK by the end of the year. It is very much an evolution of the previous model, both in design terms as well as its underlying platform.

The initial photos don’t seem to show a particularly harmonious-looking design; indeed it looks like an overgrown X1, which is not a great compliment. Or maybe it’s just me…

• #4396 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

I agree, this new X5 is no looker.

The claimed economy figures are impressive however. Not that it will get anywhere close to them of course.

Not my sort of thing at all

• #4397 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Can anyone explain the point of these kind of cars to me?

• #4398 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

Sorry Angus, I cant. It seems to me whatever you want from a car something else does it better, probably cheaper, more economical, faster, handle better, better on road or off. Having said that i look forward to seeing the low cost fleet special 2wd diesels completely stuck come the first snow flake

• #4412 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Given that owners will rarely call upon their 4x4ness and they provide nothing dramatic with regard to interior space above and beyond a regular car, as far as I can see cars of this kind exists merely to provide the owners with a large exterior proportion. It seems like a variation on the dick swinging game.

• #4415 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

So Angus, you’d agree with Sniff Petrol then?

https://sniffpetrol.com/2013/05/31/bmw-reveals-new-x5/

• #4416 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Love Sniff!

• #4417 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Angus Young wrote:</div>Can anyone explain the point of these kind of cars to me?

In them olden days, in another place, there would have been a thread dedicated to just that question.

I don’t care for it, but that goes for most/all large cars/SUVs, not this in particular. The flanks make it look slightly G-Wagon-ish, so I wonder if BMW are trying to make a very large SUV without having to produce an X7, which will probably be a bridge too far.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #4419 Reply
    rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Angus Young wrote:</div>Can anyone explain the point of these kind of cars to me?

It makes for the perfect firearms car. It can carry all that is needed (the 5 series can’t due to weight it has to carry rather than space), it’s decently quick although most are 260bhp not the 300+ twin turbo version, matches emission targets set by govt (I kid you not), 4×4 for when you need to go off road in a pursuit etc, and it’s much easier to step out of and shoot someone quickly compared to a standard saloon.

However, I suspect this is not the primary reason for BMW to produce it…

I suspect for many it’s the ‘feel safer’ perception, along with the preferable ‘higher up’ view you gain along with the fact it’s easier to get out of for older people. Oh, and easier to get the kids into rather than bending down all the time. Combined with fairly inoffensive looks, decent engines and a prestige badge. They drive pretty well for a big lump too.

Hope I’ve educated you, Angus! :)

• #4448 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

I can only say why I bought one – has plenty of room for kids and stuff, tows well and has good wading depth (for launching my boat). Once I had decided on an SUV for those reasons, it came down to the one with the fewest compromises in on-road behaviour. That left me with the choice between a Cayenne Turbo S or the X5 M, and having driven them both, couldn’t justify the additional £25k for the Porker.

My X5 is now 3 and a half years old and is a veteran of 16000 miles, and must say, I really enjoy driving it. Is it as good as a 5 series for normal driving? No way.

No argument from me – in these pictures, the new one is not a well resolved look. X1-esque it is, and that is a real shame.

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

Reply To: New BMW X5 unveiled

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1