Used car advice – €20k to €25k

Home Forums Buying a Car Used car advice – €20k to €25k

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  smg 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

smg
    Participant

Hi, I’d appreciate your advice please,

We own a 2008 Saab 9-5, 2.0l petrol with 121,000KM on the clock and averaging 25,000KM p.a. since we bought it four years ago – likely to continue at this level of usage. Average profile is a mix of short to medium journeys (max 40 KMs each way) from Monday to Friday on urban/rural roads, normally driven by my wife then longer motorway trips at the weekend (c300KMs) driven by me. I’m 6’2″, my wife is 5’6″ and we both have issues with back pain. Neither of use is a fast driver but what I like most about our current car is the quick acceleration between 80Km/hr and 120KM/hr

Our budget is €20k plus our own car, say another €5k. Looking to change to a more economical diesel 2012/2013 car with c50,000 KMs on it and hold for 2 years or a further 50,000KMs, whichever comes first. Not badge conscious and would choose higher spec over a premium name. Cruise control and good seats are two deciding factors as well as a spacious cabin.

I’d be grateful if you would recommend three makes/models that you believe fit our requirements.

Kind Regards

• #61482 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Depending on where in the world you’re located, there wil be plenty of choice but the key issue will be how comfortable and supportive the seats are. Make sure you have a decent length test drive in any car you are seriously considering to make sure it will be suitable. Even different trim levels of the same car can feel different as the seats can change and wheels/tyres/suspension can be different on two identical-looking cars.

A good starting point is probably a Volkswagen Passat – should be a similar size, there are a range of engines to suit your performance and economy preferences, and I’ve personally always found the seats very good – although this will be a very personal issue depending on your back problems.

• #61484 Reply

smg
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Stuart. The Passat looks a good all round option, what’s your opinion on the Skoda Superb? Same group so same seats?

Regards,

smg

• #61485 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Yes, the Skoda Superb is a very good car and well worthy of consideration. However, the seats may well not be the same as those on the Passat so make sure you check thoroughly.

Some people with sensitive backs have even found that different stitching patterns on the same seats can aggravate problems, so you never can tell.

• #61488 Reply

smg
    Participant

That’s great, thanks Stuart

Reply To: Used car advice – €20k to €25k

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1