Older Diesel v Newer Petrol?

Home Forums Buying a Car Older Diesel v Newer Petrol?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

ianwilson24
    Participant

I have owned a 56 plate Seat Leon 1.9TDI since new and it has served me well on my 60 mile / day round trip motorway commute but has now done 92K miles. My dilemma is whether to trade it in now (before it needs another cam belt change at 100K and everything else is more at risk of going wrong) or run it into the ground (say up to 150K). On my budget I could only go to £8.5K but would like to go for a newer car (1-2 yrs old) to avoid major problems as far as possible for the next few years. I appreciate this would therefore need to be a smaller car, probably petrol…any suggestions?

• #16494 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

In your price range, there are plenty of decent vehicles to choose from, so you should definitely be able to find something that suits. For a similar size vehicle, most are likely to be at least 3 years old or more, but you can still find something with quite a low mileage and good service history.

If you have liked your Leon, then you could update to a newer model. Alternatively, any of the usual suspects would do the job well: Ford Focus or Fiesta, VW Golf, Mazda3, Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Skoda Octavia, etc. are all good vehicles, so it depends on which you like. There are some diesels around as well as petrol, so if you would prefer a diesel (and based on your daily journey, it will probably be a lot more fuel efficient for you) you should still be able to find one.

• #16563 Reply

ianwilson24
    Participant

Thanks, some good suggestions if I do ‘upgrade’ – hadn’t actually thought of a newer Leon! However, I’d be interested in your thoughts as to whether to trade in in the first place – after a cam belt change is a Leon diesel likely to last much past 100K without major problems??

• #16680 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The 1.9 TDI unit used by VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda is generally pretty bulletproof, so there is no real reason why it won’t last for a lot longer if it is properly maintained.

The overall costs of running an older car will be higher, as more larger-ticket items come up for replacement and servicing more often. Plus lots of the ancillary bits and pieces (stereo, windscreen wipers, light bulbs, etc) tend to break down before the main engine / gearbox bits. So you are more likely to be regularly shelling out for those sorts of costs.

Inevitably, the cost of changing your car is a much larger investment than keeping your current vehicle running. You are spending thousands to save hundreds, so other factors such as comfort, safety and vehicle suitability should be greater considerations than total costs.

Reply To: Older Diesel v Newer Petrol?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1