PCP voluntary termination before 50%

Home Forums Car finance PCP voluntary termination before 50%

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Dan

Hi there. I have got a car on pcp in may 2016. Is there any way of handing it back soon? I understand my rights to voluntary termination. However, i do not want the car anymore! Can i somehow hand it back no strings attached? Also last week the car has thrown up the engine management light and has started running rough! Upon reading through paperwork i have discovered that the car has had 5 previous owners which is very suspicious of a car thats not even 3 years old. Why and how have these people handed the car back already? The previous ownership was not disclosed to me during the sale, are they hiding something? Can i use this fault to hand the car back without any outstanding bills etc?

• #94354 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Dan. When you sign a finance agreement, you are committing to it for the term agreed. Giving the car back with “no strings attached” because you “don’t want the car anymore” is not an option.

A dealer is not obliged to discuss previous owners with you unless you ask about it.

If the engine management light has come on, it needs looking at. If you don’t have a warranty on the vehicle, you will have to pay for this.

• #95792 Reply

Eric

Hello
    I bought a car on finance 2 years ago this December over a 5 year period.
    the car has become unsafe as the seat belts don’t release until I and passenger have to use quite a lot of force and wiggle the clasp out of the seat belt holster. Also all of the locks including the boot lock and the ignition keyhole do not operate properly and have to work the key quite a bit unil it functions. My partner and I do not feel safe with these malfunctions and I wouldn’t want to have it repaired just to happen again. Can I hand the car back under these circumstances without incurring penalties?
    Thank you
    Regards

• #95793 Reply

Eric

It is all of the seat belts by the way

• #95842 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Eric. Your finance VT rights are not connected to the vehicle condition.

If you bought the car new, you may still be under new car warranty and be able to have the problems fixed. If it is out of warranty (which it will be if you bought it used) then you are liable for the cost of repairs. This has nothing to do with your finance contract.

It seems odd that all of your seatbelts and all of your key barrels are faulty – maybe there is an environmental issue that is affecting the mechanisms?

Reply To: PCP voluntary termination before 50%

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1