Pirelli to change F1 tyres

Home Forums Motorsport Pirelli to change F1 tyres

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by The Colonel The Colonel 4 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

In response to criticism from certain F1 interests, Pirelli is going to tweak its tyres to make them more resistant to degradation.

The Italian manufacturer has been under the media spotlight all season as teams (some more than others, notably Red Bull and Mercedes) have struggled to get the best out of their tyres and are unable to sustain their maximum pace over the course of a Grand Prix.

Changes to the tyre compounds and/or construction are likely to be as controversial as the initial tyres Pirelli offered from the start of this season, as it is clear that some teams have managed to produce cars which are either light on their tyres (such as Lotus and Force India) or have been able to manage the degradation very well via their race strategies (such as Ferrari).

So forumers, what are your thoughts? Are the fast-degrading tyres harmful to F1’s ethos of rewarding the best cars with the best results, or is it unfair to reward teams who have been unable to cope with the delicate tyres at the expense of those teams who have got their sums right? Thoughts on a postcard (or preferably, just typed below…).

• #4194 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

Sounds like Horner and Vettel whiining again because something isnt going their way. Why should teams like Lotus and Ferrari be penalised for building cars which cope better with the rules? RBR should have to improve their car for the rules not have the rules changed to suit their car.

• #4198 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>andrewtaylor wrote:</div>Sounds like Horner and Vettel whiining again because something isnt going their way.

Ahhh, remember the good old days when people used to say the same thing about Ferrari, with all the FIA = Ferrari International Assistance cobblers?

It’s a mixture of things. I don’t believe anyone disagrees that an, almost, universal four-stop race is a good spectacle, especially with the way qualifying is run and how the tyres have to be used according to grid position.

I believe the way F1 is being broadcast does not help matters. At the moment if a tyre is seen to let go, somewhat spectacularly, it is assumed to be as a result of the high degredation specification, by Pirelli, when, in fact, it is more likely that it was caused by damage that would, in previous years, have resulted in a puncture but now due to, the FIA sanctioned, puncture resistance specification, something else happens. Of course once they “know” the cause, the cameras and journos have long since gone. Also the high amount of pit-car radio broadcast, I believe, can give a poor picture if there is no further context, and there won’t be any further context forthcoming.

Pirelli need to be given/allowed to use a far more contemporary car. While most motorists would love to be hooning around to Sainsburys, in something newer than four years old, using a four year old Red Bull to develop tyres is like trying to get to the moon with a Cessna while BA have a hypersonic jet to get from London to Paris. If you think I’m exaggerating the contrast, consider that Pirelli have to deliver tyres that work on a very wide variety of circuits, with variable surface and environmental conditions (locally and globally) to fit cars that have different characteristics driven by trained idiots with varying levels of brightness (I don’t know if that is Pirelli being tight/poor or if some regulation prevents it).

I’d change qualifying. Every team gets three sets of qualifying tyres, per car, and every car must do, a minimum, of three flying laps per run, over an hour, doing as many runs as they wish. The fastest lap is all that counts. That will minimise the, increasing, levels of holding up. It will stop sure fire 9th and 10th qualy finishers from staying in the garage (and if any team does, without good reason, they get a five place penalty). Starting tyre must be chosen by the end of FP3, weather permitting. All tyres used in FP1, 2 and 3, are canned (or reused next time if suitable) and the teams are given the same number of fresh sets for the race. Any unused tyres are returned to Pirelli.

If we must have DRS, which I believe contributes to tyre issues, in part, then one zone only. And while I’m at it, if a driver can use DRS to pass a backmarker, just through accident of being that close at the detection point, then let’s do away with blue flags.

Paul Hembery needs to shut the fuck up. By that I mean, if the tyres are criticised, sometimes fairly, sometimes not, he either needs to robustly defend them, or take it on the chin and promise to look at solving problems. The end result is probably a reasonable mixture of both, as it happens, but the words that come out of his mouth, sometimes, have the opposite impression, such as his “you can have processions back, if you want them” strawman from earlier in the week.

Finally the FIA needs to take charge more. It seems too much is left to the teams to “come to an agreement” on. Stupid. Just stupid. Do your job FIA (for all his faults, I don’t think Max Mosley would have let the situation linger).

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

Reply To: Pirelli to change F1 tyres

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1