Rush – who's seen it?

Home Forums Any Other Business Rush – who's seen it?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Went to see Ron Howard’s new movie “Rush” this afternoon (if you’ve been living under a rock for the last few years, then Google it, to save me explaining it…). Absolutely fantastic.

There have been some criticisms from sad anoraky motor racing people that it is not strictly accurate, but the reality is that for a feature movie, it is perfectly adequate in storyline and historical accuracy to provide a good show. Yes, there have been a few scenes and sub-plots that are entirely fictional, but the overriding story is sound and presents Lauda, Hunt and F1 in general in a very positive light.

The on-track footage is spectacular, the scenes of Lauda in hospital are brutal, the two leading actors are very good (especially Daniel Bruhl) and the broad portrayals of both drivers are great. The only off-note for me was the scene where Hunt beats up a journalist. Ron Howard was clearly making a point about solidarity between the two rivals under great pressure, but it seemed a bit unnecessary. Otherwise, a great movie and a big potential boost for F1’s profile in the USA.

For those who have seen it, what did you think?

• #5360 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div> The only off-note for me was the scene where Hunt beats up a journalist. Ron Howard was clearly making a point about solidarity between the two rivals under great pressure, but it seemed a bit unnecessary.

I agree but, for me, it was representative of a wider issue. As a drama, about two great rivals, it did the job well, with them seemingly only communicating through glares framed by visors or the odd ill-tempered and foul-mouthed exchange of words. There seemed, however, to be a lot of exposition, of the sort you describe Stuart, which was un-necessary and made utterly redundant by the montage and monologue at the end, if you didn’t know about it already. It was almost as if they were not entirely confident in the film they wanted to make so ended up making two in order to deliver a drama that, in the end, explained everything faithfully.

That being said once Niki Lauda returned to racing I found myself edging ever further to the end of my seat as the rest of 1976 unfolded, and I know exactly what is going to happen! Ron Howard must have done something right.

Anoraks can go jump, as far as I am concerned. This was not a film about Formula 1 cars, or Formula 1 per se. What they did have of racing, especially the starts, was done very well, as well as THE crash, which was pitched just right; not too over the top. I thought they could have made more of the Japanese GP, though. I hope, in the intervening 35 years, or so, they have worked out a better way of evacuating lungs. I’ll leave it there.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #5361 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Edit: I thought the hitch-hiking in Italy scene was hilarious.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #5384 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Edit: I thought the hitch-hiking in Italy scene was hilarious.

Not sure why quoting is working fine for me and still not working for you…

• #5542 Reply
    richoeyes
    richoeyes
    Participant

I’ve not yet seen Rush (looking forward to it!), but there seems to be a growing view that the Lauda story arc is just as, if not more, compelling than that of Hunt – is this a general view?

• #46483 Reply
    joesinc
    joesinc
    Participant

I can’t quote either :/

I agree the Lauda story made for a far more compelling viewing. It’s incredible that a man’s determination and desire for winning can drive him to get back behind the wheel of a car despite almost dying only months before.

• #46486 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I can’t quote either :/

Not sure what the problem is. You should be able to quote using the quote link in the head of each message, but the quote link in the footer isn’t working. Don’t know why, but as we don’t run a complex forum system it has a few shortcomings for more advanced features…

Reply To: Rush – who's seen it?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1