Secondhand car issues

Home Forums Technical Discussions Secondhand car issues

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Ross

I recently (2-3 weeks ago) purchased a secondhand SEAT Ibiza from a dealer for £900.
    I’ve done around 150 miles in it and the INSP sign has appeared on the display already. Also, over last weekend, I went to get in the car and there were 20+ bluebottle flies in it. After clearing these out and thinking they were gone, the same thing happened the next couple of days.

Bit of a strange one but does this fall under something the dealer should take care of? They did write ‘sold as seen’ on the invoice, plus, when I went to view it first time without telling them, they said the car was in storage and to come back in a couple of hours. However, on exiting the lot, I could see the car parked outside and it was full of boxes and debris.

Any advice?

• #90846 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Ross. You could probably argue that the dealer should have cleaned the car out better if you have a blowfly infestation, but it wouldn’t really constitute a fault. The inspection light means the car wants you to tale it to a garage, but unless you know what the problem is, it is impossible to say whether it is a significant fault.

The issue of the dealer lying to you about the car’s location is simply that; a dealer lying to you. He can tell you whatever he likes, the only things that matter are what are written onto a contract.

• #91022 Reply

matthew osborne

I recently brought a car from a trader, the car has a misfire which he said was due to it needing a a new maf sensor. So we brought the car and replaced the maf senor. The car was still misfiring. We got new new coils and spark plugs. Yet the car was still misfiring. We have hardly used it. We have had the car about 26 days can we reject the car and demand the money back?

• #102692 Reply

Mary Jd

I bought a secondhand car in November 2015 from a car dealer. During the first 4 months the car broke down and had to be returned back to the garage for crankshaft repairs. After 7 months the car failed its MOT and I had to pay out over £260 to have repairs done to the rear sub frame. Also there was no wheel locking nut in the vehicle when we came to have the tyres changed and was also told that the tyres were two different sizes, smaller on the back which would have hampered the cars performance. 8 months later and the heater hoses blow causing yet more expense. Now to top it all off 13 months later the car breaks down again. This time HGF. It goes into my local garage only to be told that the bill for repairs is going to be £3,800 as the head has historic damage, all 4 pistons have at some previous time been hit/damaged, bolts are missing from parts in the head, head damaged. I’ve been advised none of this damage has been caused recently (in the 13 months I’ve had the car) but before I bought it. The dealer when contacted does not want to know. He mended the 1st problem but did not want to know after that and does not want to know now. Does anyone know where I stand legally? The car is a S Max 1.8 Tdci diesel 2008 model with 108,000 miles (103,000 when bought) Would I have a good enough case if I took him to court? TIA

• #102732 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Mary. I don’t think you would have a very strong case if you took the dealer to court. The Consumer Rights Act covers you for six months for any pre-existing problems, but by now you are well outside that. An eight-year-old car with over 100,000 miles on the clock is likely to have costs associated with it, even if they are faults that were there when you bought it.
      Unless you have some clear evidence that the dealer lied to you about the vehicle when you purchased it, you are unlikely to succeed in trying to claim compensation in court.

Reply To: Secondhand car issues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1