Somebody stop me

Home Forums Buying a Car Somebody stop me

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by liquidgold liquidgold 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

I’m perilously close to putting a deposit on a Tesla Model S. Unproven (IMO) tech, not overly pretty and more questions than answers, but I’m really tempted.

I’ve spent a lot of time slagging off EVs, so its rather hypocritical, but there are some plusses :- Its quite quick. A charge would easily cover my commute (10 times over). Its too innocuous / inconspicuous to piss my customers off. It seats 5 easily, with a 7 seat option that’s worth considering. Finally, if I buy it through work, it costs nothing in tax, stepping up to 5% BIK over the coming years.

Questions : a) Have I really lost the plot?
    b) Will I be expelled from the forum?

LG

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #4517 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Quite a nice looking car and if I were going to buy a milk float this might be it. Still don’t get ‘why’, though.

• #4518 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

I dont think you have lost the plot. You are the ideal person to give it a try, afterall you have a large selection of vehicles to choose from, so to an extent this is a low(ish) risk thing to do. The only real risk is the lost value, but even that is taken by your company not you, and there is real appeal in getting something for nothing (another car with no personal tax cost)

And furthermore if you do give one a go, you, a real petrolhead, can tell the rest of us the good bits and the crap.

As for being hypocritical, i cant talk. Never been a huge fan of automatics, yet i have ordered a Jeep Wrangler, which sadly you have to have as an automatic these days. I have told myself its not a ‘drivers car’ as such so it wont matter, and the S2000 and Monaro are staying so its not as if i will lose all use of my left leg

• #4519 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Artill, it’s horses for courses. I’ve said before that a decent auto is bearable, and some of the DSGs are actually nearly as rewarding as a good manual. I fear we’ll have to get used to it, as a decent manual is a rare beast in a quick car now.

As for the ‘why’, Lesia, without being facetious about a big sum of money, you can put it down to curiosity, I guess. That, and the fact that, on a personal basis at least, it’s very cheap motoring in a fast and practical car. My biggest worry is its lack of engine noise, which til now has always been a major element in my driving enjoyment.

I’m still on the fence at the moment. Prudence would suggest waiting until they’re in the country and established, but I’m not known for my patience – a £30k deposit for the model with the extra Duracells seems a bit steep. I’ll let you know if/when I take the plunge.

• #4520 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I want monthly reports, and a review under the “Car Reviews” section ;)

• #4525 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>liquidgold wrote:</div>My biggest worry is its lack of engine noise

Especially coming from a 458.

• #4534 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Update – to try and get some sort of a feel for what I’d be letting myself in for, I’ve asked the kind folk at Vauxhall to lend me an Ampera for a couple of weeks at the end of summer. I’m off for a decent summer holiday soon, but will chase up the silent Vauxhall September time, and give it a run.

I realise its not really fair on the Tesla to base my experience of an electric vehicle on the Ampera, but it might be enough to push me either way… I’ll report back whatever happens!

• #4535 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I realise its not really fair on the Tesla to base my experience of an electric vehicle on the Ampera, but it might be enough to push me either way… !

Just make sure that you don’t have to push it in any way.

Also, the Ampera is probably the best way to get a feel for an electric car because if you try a Tesla and your opinion is less than favourable they are known to get a bit sniffy.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #7931 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

Update – I drove an Ampera for about 10 days, and it was fine. To give some perspective, I’m accustomed to driving nice cars usually, and as a daily commuter, it was absolutely up to the job for me. In a way, that’s the trouble.

It does all the measurable things perfectly well, and my short commute was no issue on range, as I didn’t even have to charge it every day. The trouble is, it was all a bit soulless. It just came across as something that was efficient in its work, but I couldn’t help but think of it as a white good.

I think Vauxhall can be justifiably proud of their product, and I would be really disappointed for them if the car continues to be a commercial failure, because I think it has a lot going for it. Its a very cheap proposition for Company car drivers, and for those with the right kind of journey profile, it makes a huge amount of sense. It rides fine, its equipped perfectly well enough, and to my eyes its reasonably good looking.

Its not for me just yet, though, and for the time being it has ruled out the Tesla. I love the noise the ICE makes, and a car without the noise of fuel being burnt just seems a bit uncanny. I know the Tesla is very fast, quite nice to look at and equipped beautifully, but (without having driven one), I just fear that for a lot of money, I’d just feel like I was driving a Miele rather than a Beko, or a SMEG instead of a Hotpoint. I’ve gone to the other end of the spectrum and ordered an FF. Its due in April, and whilst it makes no financial sense, I know the hairs will stand up on the back of neck every time I blip the throttle. I’m going to enjoy the last of the big petrol engines before its too late. I’m sure the world of the electric car will soon arrive, and I’ll embrace it when it does, but for now, I’m sticking to my guilty little pleasures.

Reply To: Somebody stop me

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1