Top Gear

Home Forums Any Other Business Top Gear

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Angus Young Angus Young 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Chanced upon the new Topgear tonight, hadn’t seen any trails for it. It followed the dull but worthy format. I liked the fact the race against the boat was in an ordinary car, and the hot hatch shootout picked the right winner in my eyes. The main issue was £17k for the reasonably priced car. They should have moved down a segment, Kia Rio or something. Hope the series warms up a bit, there is usually one standout episode. I can’t see them doing it for many more series though they seem bored of it themselves and to be fair to them, getting a bit old for the physical challenges, James looked very ill.

• #4531 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

I’m sure in the Daily Mail, or somewhere similar, there’ll be hard of thinking types complaining about the wanton damage of cars, as in the Blue Mazda.

That AC45 is just amazing…can’t believe James May disliked it that much…though I think all of my sphincters would have clenched when told “we’ve never run it in conditions like these before”. :) The AC72s are just monsters.

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #4532 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>philm4000 wrote:</div>and to be fair to them, getting a bit old for the physical challenges, James looked very ill.

Clarkson is starting to get the shakes. Watch his hands during his initial intro. I can’t imagine he get nervous doing his intros.

Not too bad last night. Not great, but not too bad.

• #4537 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

I too hadnt seen any trails for it, so was lucky to find it. And yes, it was OK. Not poor, not great.

I could have done without the new car being driven by so many ‘celebrities’. That was rather dull.

I hope we get one or 2 decent episodes this time. When they are on form they are great, its just it doesnt happen too often any more.

• #4540 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Missed last week’s episode, but saw tonight’s. To be honest, it was exactly what I was expecting to see. Taxi racing was just like bus or airport vehicle racing, parkour race has been done before (but not through the BBC TV Centre) and the BAC Mono review was a lot like the Ariel Atom review (it mashes your face up if you don’t wear a helmet…).

Still amusing, but no different to any of the old episodes on Dave.

• #4542 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Loved the BAC mono with the stig, the rest was very average. Nice to see the F12 given an honest review as well.

• #4544 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Mmm… I doubt ‘honesty’ is ever high on Clarkson’s list of priorities when he’s doing a review. He’s not one to let facts get in the way of a good headline.

• #4546 Reply
    liquidgold
    liquidgold
    Participant

I thought it was a really poor rehash of a bunch of tired themes. The star of the show was the F12, which I think is a real beauty, and I loved the BAC too. As pointed out above, for taxis at Lydden read buses, for BAC read Atom and for Dougie Lampkin read Liverpool Parcours.

Repetitive, formulaic and becoming seriously wearing.

New, improved and a stone lighter. Where's the nearest Atom dealer?

• #4547 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

The first time I have ever watched Top Gear on iPlayer in fast forward. In attempting to go through the Ron Howard bore fest I inadvertently zipped through his lap…I didn’t go back to watch.

This was happening at the same time it was going out on BBC 3. I don’t even know what the parkour thing was about – I saw it in one second bursts through the fast forward on the TV.

The F12 was a nice enough feature, but perhaps Top Gear really should have ended with the Vantage V12 review; An Ending.

"Capable of what?"

• #4577 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

Well this weeks was cracking, great test and I laughed all the way through. I will caveat this with the information that I polished off a bottle of Chablis between 4 and 7 after a beery lunch. Maybe this is the formula to truly enjoy Topgear,

• #4765 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Even if you’re not British, the end of Top Gear tonight was epically brilliant. Also, Mark Webber is an absolutely top bloke (as all Australian men are…) and I was very pleased (SPOILER ALERT) that he beat Vettel.

By far the best of the series, and the best in recent memory.

• #4766 Reply
    philm4000
    philm4000
    Participant

What a great end to the series, seeing those F1 cars in MK made me think even more we need a street race in the UK.

• #4782 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Also, Mark Webber is an absolutely top bloke (as all Australian men are…) and I was very pleased (SPOILER ALERT) that he beat Vettel.

Well, he has to beat him at something. :)

The last two editions have been particularly good. It was a nice, atypical, finale yesterday, but it was a shame that the BBC just had to be oh so PC about their “balanced” programming that they had to follow it up with the programme about the German car industry. Odd scheduling.

"Capable of what?"

• #4783 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Excellent episode and the ending showed that TG can still do the business when they put their minds to it. Superb end piece that actually made me feel a little emotional.

They should, though, have tackled the fact that, while all of that might be made in Britain, most of it is owned elsewhere even, shamefully, the stuff that is quintessentially British within that line up.

Reply To: Top Gear

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1