fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Vibration in doors from stereo (Jaguar F-Type)

Home page 2023 Forums Any Other Business Vibration in doors from stereo (Jaguar F-Type)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mark Fisher

I have a new Jaguar F-Type V6 S with 1500 miles on the clock, problem is that with random songs and speech on the radio sometimes cause a vibration in the door (doesn’t have to be loud)
      This started after the car was in the body shop and they had the door cards off and adjusted the doors to try and get the door/roof rubbers to fit.
      There is a Jaguar service bulletin that covers “rattling and or vibration” in the f type, this work has been carried out but has not totally cured this problem. Service bulletin “Jtb00432v2” notice in this bulletin it says do not carry out this work unless the customer complains.
      I have a track on my iPod and can recreate this problem at will, but they are saying it’s not a problem with the car it’s the music that’s at fault.

Am I correct to think that I should have a stereo that does not vibrate at acceptable volumes in a brand new 80k car? Or are they right that I just have to put up with it?
      Previously with my ill fitting roof rubbers, I was told by Jaguar “they are as good as they are going to get”, they still don’t fit.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Mark. The price of a car does not guarantee build quality or reliability, and this is an area where JLR appears to still lag behind its German and Japanese rivals.

The vibrations will presumably be caused by specific resonances that occur at specific frequencies. They can be almost impossible to eliminate completely, especially if the resonances are effectively designed into the car (not intentionally, obviously!). It’s the same principle that can cause bridges to collapse from vibrations or particular oscillations.

The response from Jaguar/the dealer that the “music is at fault” is clearly wrong, as it presumably doesn’t cause the same resonance in other cars or types of stereo.

You can keep going back to Jaguar and demanding a better fix while the car is under warranty, but it is possible that there is nothing that can be done (I don’t know if it’s a common problem on the F-Type).

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.