Website Feedback

Home Forums Any Other Business Website Feedback

This topic contains 67 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Got any feedback of what you like about TheCarExpert.co.uk or what you would like to see improved? Let us know in this forum thread

• #3135 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Liking it so far, but how do I add an avatar?
    Looking forward to more people joinign and generating some discussion.

• #3137 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

Do you not have a ‘upload photo’ feature when editing your profile? That’s how I made mine.

• #3138 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

Found it. But now I seem to have a geometric pattern thing, which I quite like so I’ll stick with that fo rnow.

• #3155 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

What about creating signatures? I’d like to be able to have some pithy tagline under my insightful thoughts…

• #3163 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Richard,

Avatar uploading has been added, so you can add an avatar like I have and andrewtaylor has. The default is now the geometric pattern, which is unique to each member.

• #3164 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi andrewtaylor,

You should now be able to add a signature, although I’m not sure if you will be able to include a hyperlink.

stuart

• #3172 Reply
    Ady J
    Ady J
    Participant

Looking good Stu,

I have a feeling that your site will be the new hang out for us poor Autocar refugees.

BTW, I am the artist formally known as Prodigy

www.adyj.co.uk

• #3173 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

1. Thanks Stu for setting this up, and I hope it picks up as it should…Autocar, your loss (I’m sure they really couldn’t give one, but hey).

2. Stu, sort it out! Usernames in lower case only? And no spaces? thecolonel just looks like a trade name for a back passage ointment, so I’ve just had to Frenchy up my username because, however silly it may look, being Frenchified always looks so chic, even if bits soon fall off.

Cheers!

"Who do you think is the most capable?"

"Capable of what?"

• #3175 Reply
    artill
    artill
    Participant

Hi Stu
    Another expelled Autocar poster here.

• #3176 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Usernames in lower case only? And no spaces?

You should be able to click on your profile and change from the username (which apparently has to be all in lower case with no spaces) or choose another option. So you could call yourself The Colonel if you would like.

• #3177 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Stu, sort it out!

There, consider it sorted ;)

• #3178 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

Great to see you here. Just so you know, you can edit your profile to change your display name (choose from username, nickname or actual name), add a signature and avatar, and add links to twitter, etc. As for anything else, still working on it!

Cheers,

stu

• #3183 Reply
    rich_uk
    rich_uk
    Participant

Well, I’ve joined. I hope others follow! My avatar is supposed to be batfink but I cannot adjust the picture size on the ipad!

Had a quick gander at PH and although clearly popular, it looks like a complete mess and impersonal although I see that TBH has joined there.

• #3184 Reply
    Ady J
    Ady J
    Participant

Well, I’ve joined. I hope others follow! My avatar is supposed to be batfink but I cannot adjust the picture size on the ipad!

Had a quick gander at PH and although clearly popular, it looks like a complete mess and impersonal although I see that TBH has joined there.

Hi Rich, Prodigy here :)

www.adyj.co.uk

• #3185 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Stuart, you are a true gent. Now if you could be a dear and sort out my avatar, signature, the North Korea problem, and get my child through High School and University that would be just splendid.

Rich, your avatar looks fine just the way it is, probably more amusing for it.

"Capable of what?"

• #3190 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Stuart, you are a true gent. Now if you could sort out … the North Korea problem

Twitter has done that already. North Korea basically declares war, and British tweeters have responded with #NorthKoreaFootballChants. It’s hirarious.

• #3218 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

Loving the concept of a decent forum finally!

few things…. can we make it easier to upload pics (I can’t work out how to do it duh)

can we also have a recent thread section like the active section on the right.

will be bang on with those

Going my own way since 1982, not sure where I'll end up but you're welcome to come along for the ride.

• #3220 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

few things…. can we make it easier to upload pics (I can’t work out how to do it duh)

Hi sackedstig and welcome.

Do you mean uploading avatars or pics into posts? Avatars shouldn’t be a problem (and I see you have one uploaded already), don’t know about pics into posts but will check. I am gradually rolling out additional features when I am sure they will work properly and not encourage spamming.

The ‘active topics’ list is the recent/latest threads, just a different name. I basically used the same title that autocar did ;) Or did you mean newest topics created?

• #3233 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Uploading pics for avatars on this site is probably the easiest and best I’ve yet come across. I’ll be honest and say that, at first, I thought the forum was ugly and awkward – I admit to being a bit of an IT dunce, so really did need the help in getting the screen name down, but in the short time I’ve been on it is actually quite an easy site to use.

"Capable of what?"

• #3234 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

This is all a bit weird. People are making suggestions and requests… and the guy running the forum is responding! Sorry, I just can’t get used to this.

• #3238 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The forum ‘skin’ is one of the next things on the agenda, to see if there are ways to make it look prettier. I initially tried another forum program which looked a bit nicer but had very limited functionality, whereas this one is much more workable. It’s all open-source stuff, so there are developers who write programs to plug into it.

Those who have been here over the last few days (bearing in mind that it has only been running since last Friday) may have noticed that there have been numerous tweaks each day as I have added things and then removed things which weren’t working. I have tried a few different avatar and signature programs before settling on the current ones, and added the ability to like/dislike individual comments (the little number under your name shows how many likes your comments have received).

For some reason, if you quote another user it leaves a massive white space at the top of your post and I don’t know how to get rid of that so am still working on it. My main concern is changing something and losing people’s posts, so I am taking it slowly and changing one thing at a time to see how it works.

Over the next few weeks, the forum will gradually evolve and start to look more refined. How quickly that happens depends on how much time I have, in addition to writing & publishing articles for the main site and actually going to work at my paying job!

• #3240 Reply

matsoc
    Participant

Hi evrybody.
    Me too I signed also on PH site but it feels too huge. Anyway I’ll keep visiting both for a while.

By the way I’d like congratulate with Disco.stu for the excellent work done on this site and forum.

still looking for a Lotus...

• #3244 Reply
    sackedstig
    sackedstig
    Participant

sackedstig wrote:

Hi sackedstig and welcome.

Do you mean uploading avatars or pics into posts? Avatars shouldn’t be a problem (and I see you have one uploaded already), don’t know about pics into posts but will check. I am gradually rolling out additional features when I am sure they will work properly and not encourage spamming.

The ‘active topics’ list is the recent/latest threads, just a different name. I basically used the same title that autocar did Or did you mean newest topics created?

Hi Stu

yeah I meant pics in posts and newest threads both would be great, I know its work in progress and I think you have done a great job so far, so glad we have a proper alternative.

The good thing here is that you already have an established website to, the driver torque project lead by Adam was an interesting concept but he never maintained the site so it was dead in the water, here your site is interesting and good articles so reason to visit not just for the forum.

keep up the good work!

Going my own way since 1982, not sure where I'll end up but you're welcome to come along for the ride.

• #3266 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I have added a post toolbar which should allow you to embed images and videos. Give it a go and see if it works.

And new smilies which hopefully look better than the old ones… :wink:

• #3267 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

OK, the smilies don’t look any better… :roll:

• #3316 Reply
    evo_ermine
    evo_ermine
    Participant

Ah so this is where you’re all hanging out. :wink:

• #3318 Reply

petrolheadinrussia

great, thanks for creting a website for everyone to use. Hopefully the moderation should be better this time, i look forward to sharing many stories with you in the future………..

• #3351 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Stu, can you make the font just a touch larger? Seems rather small compared to most forums and I always do a little involuntary lean into the screen every time one of your pages comes up.

• #3356 Reply
    evo_ermine
    evo_ermine
    Participant

Angus Young wrote:Stu, can you make the font just a touch larger? Seems rather small compared to most forums and I always do a little involuntary lean into the screen every time one of your pages comes up.

I’d second that. Maybe more than a touch larger aswell.

• #3360 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Stuart. Is there any chance that it could be made possible that when clicking on a thread link it sends one to the first unread post in said thread?

Thanks.

"Capable of what?"

• #3361 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

The Colonel wrote:Stuart. Is there any chance that it could be made possible that when clicking on a thread link it sends one to the first unread post in said thread?
    Thanks.

+1

• #3376 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Stu, can you make the font just a touch larger? Seems rather small compared to most forums and I always do a little involuntary lean into the screen every time one of your pages comes up.

How is the font size now?

As for taking you to the first unread post, not sure how to do that yet but looking into it!

• #3379 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Yes, much better. Could probably go up one point more.

• #3386 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

What I did notice, and of which you may already be aware, Stuart, if you click on the “Freshness” link, on the front page, you will be taken to the most recent post on the top thread in each section – which is not the same as I asked for, I know, but it is a similar functionality, no? (says he who reallyu does not have the first clue about this sort of thing)

"Capable of what?"

• #3401 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

What I did notice, and of which you may already be aware, Stuart, if you click on the “Freshness” link, on the front page, you will be taken to the most recent post on the top thread in each section – which is not the same as I asked for, I know, but it is a similar functionality, no?

Yes, it’s the best we can do at the moment. There doesn’t appear to be a plugin to automatically take you to the first new comment, so you can either start at the start and work forwards, or start at the end and work backwards (which is probably better for most threads).

• #3543 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Quick progress update for this week:
    Font size – I still can’t get it to be perfectly consistent (different fonts for original posts, quotes, replies, etc.) but I think it’s about as good as it’s going to get for now.

First new post since last visit – don’t seem to be able to make this happen with this forum software. Will keep looking for a solution, but don’t hold your breath.

Newest topics – have added list of 5 newest topics to the sidebar to go along with the 5 latest topic updates, as per a recently deceased forum elsewhere…

Images – you can now upload images rather than just linking. They should automatically re-size to fit, unlike another recently deceased forum elsewhere… :wink:

SIgnatures – you can’t add HTML to your signature to provide a link, and this is not going to change anytime soon. It is a major cause of spam as people try to get links to their sites. You can show your web address, and if people can’t be bothered right-clicking on it to open it, then they’re probably not really interested in visiting your site!

Spam – the anti-spam software seems to be catching most of it so far. There have been a couple of genuine attempts at spam which have got past, and one tosser who seemed to be trolling, but nothing serious. Fingers crossed it stays that way. If you see any spamming or trolling, please don’t respond to it but e-mail me and I’ll sort it as soon as I can.

Thanks all for your continuing support, I’m quite happy with how it’s going so far. The number of registered users is slowly growing, which is how I would like to keep it (a rapid spike is likely to mean lots of spammers and trolls joining!).

I’m away from Sunday for a couple of days in sunny Spain, so if there are any dramas I won’t be able to attend to them until I get back on Tuesday night. Have a great weekend everybody.

stu

• #3557 Reply
    evo_ermine
    evo_ermine
    Participant

The font seems fine to me now, size wise anyway. Seems slightly fuzzy but that might be my eyesight.

Have a good trip Stu.

• #3685 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi all,

We are starting to get some regular spam, so I may have to introduce a capcha. Will look at that over the next couple of days.

stu

• #3712 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

stuart wrote:Hi all,

We are starting to get some regular spam, so I may have to introduce a capcha.

As spam goes it’s not too bad – some of the most recent read more like Taoist poems but, yes, kill them. Kill them all.

"Capable of what?"

• #3724 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

It is a growing problem, and even if you were spending all day on the forum you would only be seeing about 10% of the total spam we are getting, as the system catches the rest. However, it realistically means that it is going to keep increasing. So I will try a couple of different capchas and see which is the least annoying…

• #4031 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Grrr, updating various files behind the scenes has undone the font sizes and other bits, so I need to look up how to change them all over again! Will get onto that at some point this weekend…

Have changed the forum settings so that you now need to register to be able to post. Was trying to avoid that to encourage people to post without needing to sign up, but so far about 1% of unregistered posts are genuine and 99% are spam, so it will hopefully stop most of the spam we are currently getting.

• #4539 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Sorry that things have been quiet of late; have had a lot on my plate, plus a trip to Le Mans (which was brilliant as always, but very sad with the death of Allan Simonsen – a driver I have followed for a while as he spent a lot of time driving in Australia). Plus the latest guest blog applications have been fairly rubbish and I haven’t had time to write anything myself.

Hope to get some time later this week to edit or write some new material. Until then, you are all welcome to step up :)

• #4781 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

Apologies to anyone who was using the website last night and found that there were a few problems – I was trialling a new look for the site, which was supposed to be completely invisible to users but apparently meant that everything in the sidebar (login, forum topics, Facebook/Twitter bits, etc.) all disappeared.

Everything should be back to normal again now, but there may be future blips over coming days. I will be rolling out a new look for the website by the end of the next fortnight, which should hopefully make the whole thing a bit more visually exciting and allow easier searching and navigation, as well as look better on tablets, phones and screens of different sizes. The site has largely outgrown its current framework, which was really designed for a different sort of purpose.

Interestingly, the level of traffic on the site, which had been increasing steadily all year, suddenly doubled last month. This is great news, but the analytics data shows that there is still plenty of scope for visitors to hang around longer and find more information, which is currently not easy to do.

I promise that it won’t be an Autocar-style redesign, where functionality goes out the window, and that the forum will continue to be an important part of the site :)

As always, if you have any ideas or suggestions for things you would like to see, just ask – either here on the forum or e-mail me at [email protected]

stuart

• #4877 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Quick update – apart from the fairly obvious complete redesign of the site, I have been trying to find some tweaks for the forum. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be able to sort out the small font issue, but have not given up yet. However, there is a font size button in the toolbar when posting, so you can try using that to make fonts larger…

I have added a capcha for unregistered posters, so that people can post on the forum without having to register. The plan is that anonymous posters can contribute but spambots can’t, while logged-in forum members shouldn’t see the capcha at all. Fingers crossed it works!

As always, I am keen to hear everyone’s feedback and suggestions, so let me know what you think and what you would like to see improved.

stu

• #4880 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Quoting is all to cock and when I tried to edit the post, to make the quote work, a page with only the site frame appeared.

"Capable of what?"

• #4882 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Quoting is all to cock and when I tried to edit the post, to make the quote work, a page with only the site frame appeared.

• #4883 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hmmm. Works fine for me, so not sure what to suggest.

• #4888 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div>Hmmm. Works fine for me, so not sure what to suggest.

Test

"Capable of what?"

• #4889 Reply
    The Colonel
    The Colonel
    Participant

Now, in the post above, am I the only one seeing the quote among the code?

"Capable of what?"

• #4890 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>The Colonel wrote:</div>Now, in the post above, am I the only one seeing the quote among the code?

Nope, seems all to cock to met, too.

• #4891 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

And the ‘edit’ function doesn’t work.

• #4892 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Thanks guys. It must be a specific issue for certain browsers or operating systems, as it works fine for me.

Will have a look at it over the next couple of days as soon as I have some time.

stuart

• #4893 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div><span style=”font-size: x-large;”> </span> Thanks guys. It must be a specific issue for certain browsers or operating systems, as it works fine for me.
    Will have a look at it over the next couple of days as soon as I have some time.

stuart

This one is with Chrome.

• #4894 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

Nope. Exactly the same with Chrome as with Safari – quote is oversized and contains code and the edit function doesn’t work. I’m on a Mac/OS X, though the operating system doesn’t usually make any difference – if there’s ging to be a gremlin it’s usually the browser and, more often than not, it will be IE that gives you grief.

• #4895 Reply
    Angus Young
    Angus Young
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>stuart wrote:</div><span style=”font-size: x-large;”> </span> Thanks guys. It must be a specific issue for certain browsers or operating systems, as it works fine for me.

stuart

This is on an iPad. Same thing and the edit doesn’t work here, either.

• #5120 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Nope. Exactly the same with Chrome as with Safari – quote is oversized and contains code and the edit function doesn’t work. I’m on a Mac/OS X, though the operating system doesn’t usually make any difference – if there’s ging to be a gremlin it’s usually the browser and, more often than not, it will be IE that gives you grief.

Seems to be working now. I can assure that it was absolutely nothing to do with me, and was a problem with one plugin being updated which screwed up others. Further updates now appear to mean that everybody is playing happily together now.

• #5121 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Although the edit function is still not working, as I have just discovered after making a typo…

• #27419 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

You will notice that we have a new look for the website, which gives a cleaner look to most pages and allows a lot more flexibility. There are still some bugs I am working through (eg – forum doesn’t allow you to jump to the latest comment), but if you spot anything then please let me know.

stuart

• #62365 Reply

classiccars070
    Participant

Great site! Full of both useful and interesting stuff! Keep it up!

• #63196 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

Some feedback for you Stu, you are too polite to some of the muppets who post stupid questions about their self imposed finance dramas. Maybe you should advise them not to procreate to spare future generations.

• #66418 Reply

skem01
    Participant

Hi Guy’s My name is Skem

I am new for This forum
    I’ve been visiting thecarexpert for just recently started reading through the forums.it’s looks so great and so nice

• #66588 Reply

commonbeing
    Participant

so I created a forum post and now its been deleted, what a pile of s**t!

• #66592 Reply

commonbeing
    Participant

No it was a picture at the top of a door card, its a free picture hosting site so there are ads, I would post the picture dirrectly if your site would let me

• #82854 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Apologies if anyone is struggling to post in the forum or comments sections at the moment. We are being bombarded with spam so I have employed tougher spam filters. This helps reduce it, but does mean that legitimate comments sometimes get caught by the filter and lost.

Unfortunately, it also means the site runs slower, and I am trying to work around that at the moment…

To make sure your comments don’t get caught by the spam filter, please don’t include any hyperlinks unless they are important to your point, and only one link per comment (more than that will be automatically junked by the system). Please only use English, and avoid referring to any consumer brand names for watches, trainers, fashion, etc. Car brands should be fine.

If you are having problems, drop me a message via the contact form on the contact page.

Thanks,

stuart

• #110071 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor

I haven’t been to visit for ages, but was pleasantly surprised to drop in today and see how well the site is going.

Damn Stu, you’ve got the place looking mighty sweet (as the kids today would presumably say; I’m not really sure).

Anyway, congrats on a job well done.

• #110104 Reply
      Stuart Masson
      Stuart Masson
      Keymaster

Hi Andrew, glad you popped back for a visit. Yes, things are still growing rapidly around here, although I would like more hours in the day to be able to do even more. I’d like to do some video stuff, as it would be helpful for may of our explanatory advice topics, but it seems like a lot of time and money for something which may not generate any interest (or income to pay for itself).

The forum is busy, although it’s mainly one-on-one Q&A on car buying issues rather than broader discussions. Same with comments on articles; our advice articles generate loads of questions, but nes reports and reviews get very few.

I would love to see more people offering advice, opinions and thoughts rather than just me, but to be fair we’re not really that kind of site. Car enthusiast sites like Pistonheads or Car Throttle are more suited to community discussions and debate.

Reply To: Website Feedback

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1