What car (used)

Home Forums Buying a Car What car (used)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Richard Richard 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

manpreet
    Participant

HiMay I request some help regarding buying used car.I have changed lot of cars almost every 6-12 months over the last 3 years. My knowledge regarding cars is very poor.Can someone help me in choosing the right used car.? Thanks

• #3074 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Manpreet,

To help in suggesting cars, can you advise what sort of car you need (saloon, estate, etc.) and what sort of budget you have in mind?

Thanks,

stuart

• #3093 Reply

manpreet
    Participant

Thanks for getting back so soon.I appreciate that you must get lot of emails.

I am looking for sturdy family car with good economy, less noisy in the cabin, cruise control, low CO2 emissions and tax. I do around 17000 miles per year and I have owned Toyota yaris, mark 5  VW FSI 1.6 Match (was expensive to run) and now Toyota Prius (1.8 T3) which is economical but  not very stable car.

• #3115 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

When you say that the Prius was not very stable, what do you mean?

• #3126 Reply

manpreet
    Participant

I generally drive on motorway and after hitting 70 I never felt Prius has hold of the road and when crossing lorries it’s thrown to one side. rosy harp turns i have never felt it is safe I have to considerably slow down.

• #3129 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I’d try a Skoda Octavia TDI.  They are well built, will drive well and are very practical.

• #3140 Reply

manpreet
    Participant

Thank you Richard for your advice.

I am considering Skoda Octavia. What do you think about Mark 6 Golf Diesel Blue Motion.

• #3153 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

I agree that the Škoda Octavia is a good shout. The Golf Blue Motion is a very good car, although not as good value as the Octavia. If you like the Golf, I wouldn’t get too hung up about whether or not it’s the Blue Motion model or a ‘regular’ TDI model – in real-world terms, there’s not a lot in it.

• #3154 Reply
    andrewtaylor
    andrewtaylor
    Participant

I always thought the Mazda 6 was underrated, and doesn’t get enough credit in the uk. Not sure how their diesel engines compare to others, though.

The Vectra is also a much better car than it gets credit for and is almost criminally cheap second hand.

• #3161 Reply

manpreet
    Participant

Hi Stuart

What the difference between regular TDI and blue motion? I thought blue motion gives better Milage but you said no difference.

I am confused now.

• #3165 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

The Blue Motion model has lower economy and emissions in theory, but in the real world it is a very small difference. If you find a car which suits your needs and happens to be a Blue Motion model, then great. But I wouldn’t get too hung up about it.

• #3181 Reply
    Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I also think that the Mazda 6 is better than journalists have said. In other countries (America, Austrailia) it gets much better comments in the press.

Reply To: What car (used)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1