What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio

Home Forums Buying a Car What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Cosmo Cattell

On Tuesday I’m picking up a 2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.6. Its done 65k, apparently runs perfect and has no major faults. Price is £395 due to the fact that it has no M.O.T. Mot history for the last few years is perfect. I’m buying from a garage who have said they know no reason why it would fail an mot and they have great review and testimonials on their website. This has given me a fair amount of confidence in buying the car and risking getting it motd straight after.

All I would like to know is what I should be looking out for when I go to view and test drive the car. I virtually no nothing apart from the basics so a rough guide of how to spot any major potential problem with the car that would mean I shouldn’t buy it would be great. I am happy to pay a little bit should it fail the mot as I think it’s undervalued but probably no more than £200-£300.

Thanks a lot!

• #120129 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Cosmo. At this price level, there are always a million things that could be a problem on any car, and they are not always visible on a test drive or casual inspection.

The most important thing is to see the car’s service history and have a good, long, hard look at the car’s condition.

You should insist that the car passes an MOT test before you pay for it, otherwise it’s basically a ‘spares and repairs’ car only. If the dealer is not prepared to have the car tested, it’s a bad sign.

Reply To: What to look for when buying an older Renault Clio

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Cancel

Lost Password

Tweet
Stumble
+1