Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

AEB faulty – Hyundai i30

Home page 2023 Forums Car Reviews AEB faulty – Hyundai i30

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul Aitchison

Hi

I’ve recently purchased a new Hyundai i30 which has Automatic Emergency Braking. On several occasions a very distracting alarm has sounded whilst driving at speed. Quite difficult to read the message but eventually realised that it was telling me the AEB was disabled due to a dirty camera. The camera is (I believe) in the windscreen cluster of techy stuff (along with automatic wiper sensors etc) and it does seem to occur when it is raining.

As the camera is “cleaned” through the action of the wipers this seemed strange to me. The dealer told me that it was a known fault but offered no remedy and suggested that some future “software” fix might solve the problem through making the camera less sensitive – but would that not also reduce the effectiveness of the safety feature? When pressed, they told me to ring the national customer services for more help.

The customer services told me that I should not worry and that the car was safe to drive, even with the alarm condition. When the alarm sounds, the whole display in front of the steering wheel is dedicated to the “AEB disabled” message. When I suggested that it was dangerous to distract the driver with an alarm that the driver could do nothing about, I was told that it was imperative to alert the driver of this “important safety feature” being disabled.

I pointed out that the alarm itself was more dangerous and should simply be a lower level of information for the driver – similar to (for instance) the lane assist indications. I was told that without the alarm, some drivers would seek redress in the event of a collision.

It is of course impossible to ignore loud and flashing alarms when driving but effectively this is what I am advised to do. The alarm continues until the system is once again operating correctly – sometimes within a few seconds, sometimes longer.

Given that no fix has been offered, what do you advise? The car is 4 months old and has only 1500 miles on the clock.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Paul. It’s quite possible that the camera is not being cleaned by the wipers, as the cluster of camera and radar units is up the top of the windscreen in front of the rear-view mirror so it may be missed as the wiper sweeps across the windscreen.

If the official line from Hyundai is that the fault cannot be fixed, then you would seem to have two choices: 1) manually clean the windscreen on a regular basis to stop the camera from being obscured; or 2) reject the car as not fit for purpose.

Rejecting the vehicle via the Consumer Rights Act as not fit for purpose is usually pretty difficult, especially if the problem is a known design issue rather than a one-off fault. In any case, you would need to formally reject the vehicle in writing. Because you have had it for four months, the dealer would be entitled to one attempt to fix the problem (any work already done does not count). if they can’t fix the problem, you are entitled to finally reject the vehicle.

Sensors and cameras are becoming more and more common on new cars, and having them obscured by debris is therefore becoming a common problem as well. I don’t know if anyone has successfully rejected a car on this basis, but it would seem a tough argument to try and win.

dave cormack

Same here, same fault and also fobbed off with same excuse.

Thomas Linney

I contacted Tony Whitehorn, President and CEO of Hyundai Motor UK, because I was told this fault is on all i30s, it works in the daytime ok but in the dark is saying it’s faulty all the time my garage has told me the software needs to be re-written as nothing had happened since last year I got in touch with Tony Whitehorn and have been told it is being pursued to get it sorted if more than myself get in touch with Tony it might get sorted quicker.

Paula McTaggart

Live in Donegal Ireland and we are having the same problem with our car since it was six months old. Being laughed at and fobbed off by Hyundai garage here too. Bloody raging.

D. Laver

This is generally my experience with Hyundai including mr whitehorn my Tucson had a lane departure failure within 500 miles from new a faulty clutch and flywheel at 1500miles although work done it is still not right the dealers don’t want to know and Hyundai say we are aware there is a fault and are working to fix it! 12 months later nothing. Mr white horns response we have passed your issues on to our technical department and we wish you many happy miles in your Hyundai (shows how much he cares) can’t wait to get rid and never again Hyundai. Hope you receive a better response than I did.

Thomas Linney

Just an update after contacting the CEO they got back in touch with me and arranged a date and time at my local garage where a Hyundai Technician came and fitted a new camera, thankfully I have had no problems since, I was told the Technician is traveling around the country to sort this problem out.
      Thank you Hyundai for sorting this problem out.
      Thomas Linney

Janet Dreyer

Hi to everyone having a problem with the Automatic Emergency Braking Temporarily Disabled notice in their Hyundai vehicles. My dealer (Allen Hyundai, Laguna Niguel, CA) found the problem! It turns out the front license plate is located just above the braking sensor on the front bumper. It is so close that if you have a license plate cover that is a teensy bit too big, it will occasionally bounce down and cover the sensor. I had them remove the front license plate cover completely, just leaving the bare plate. I have not had a problem since!!

Penny

We have this problem with our i30 too. And also a message to check the SCC. It comes on every time we start the car now. We have slim line plates and don’t have a cover. It’s frustrating.

Colin Smith

Just bought my i30 fastback, and same problem. Disabled AEB light came on when driving in rain on motorway. Scared the living day lights out of me! As I live 200 miles away from garage, will need to take it in locally. Damn, if I’d known……..

Le

Any previous posters shed light on whether this has been fixed?
      N forums say there’s a fireware update?

Mine came on 10 mins after buying the car and the dealer said they had fixed it…?!?!

Isodrac

Have a leased i30 in the UK and recently had the messages on start up. Error messages of Check AEB System, Check LKAS and check Smart High Beam System. Took it to the dealership and was diagnosed as a faulty camera. Replaced under warranty and got the car back 2 days later – actually today! Hopefully the end of it but I understand the cameras are potentially dodgy. This was on a car built in July 2017 for reference.
      Even weirder was a message a month a so back which flashed up saying to keep both hands on the wheel for safety (or words to that effect). Both were on the wheel! I think the car has a mind of its own.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.