fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

BMW purchased on PCP affected by ‘sandstorm Cuxhaven, Germany

Home page 2023 Forums Car finance BMW purchased on PCP affected by ‘sandstorm Cuxhaven, Germany

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris

Hello,

I purchased a brand new BMW M140i on 23 June 2018 via PCP BMW finance. Since owning the car I have noticed sand residue coming out of various parts of the car. I had noted this but did not think anything much of it. I assumed that it was residue from the BMW factory.

I learned yesterday that around 4000 cars were affected / damaged by a sandstorm prior to / during transit from Cuxhaven Port in Germany to the UK. Please see the following link (https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6791864/more-than-11million-worth-of-luxury-bmws-destroyed-after-being-filled-with-sand-on-their-way-to-the-uk/amp/).

I have reinspected the car and I have noted under the bonnet and in the engine bay that the car is completely caked with sand. It’s everywhere and in everything. It is clear that my car was one of 4000 affected but not one of the 450 written off. This was not disclosed to me in anyway at the outset and had it been then I would not have proceeded to purchase the car.

Due to the amount of sand still in the car since acquisition, it seems reasonable to assume that it will have entered the engine and the internal moving parts. Sand in the engine will enivtably destroy the engine, ruining the surface of bearings, valves, pistons etc. As well as scratching the top coat of the metalic paint. Whilst a fault has not yet manifested itself, it seems likely that it will.

I was led to believe that I was buying a new car in pristine condition. This is obviously not the case and I believe that there has been an element of deception on BMW’s part. Can I kindly have some advice here? What are my rights? And what are your thoughts?

Kind regards
      Chris

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Chris,

If the car has no faults then I don’t think there’s much that you can do about rejecting the vehicle.

Certainly you can complain about the quality of the vehicle pre-delivery valeting if there is sand in the engine bay, but if the car is functioning correctly then you don’t really have any grounds for rejecting the vehicle under the Consumer Rights Act.

Chris

Stuart

Thank you for your response. I have raised the issue with the dealership and they have raised it with BMW. I have yet to hear from them with their proposed reolution. Thanks again fot getting back to me. Much appreciated.

Regards
      Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.