Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Bought an accident repaired second hand car

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car Bought an accident repaired second hand car

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Raivis

Hi, my dad bought a Volvo s60 2011 from a used car dealer like 2 months ago and today my dad’s friend pointed out that the car has been damaged and fixed. He claims that the right front side of the car (English is not my first language so not sure the names of the parts) has been majorly damaged and repaired by the looks of it and when he pointed out you could tell that it looks a bit different from than the left side.

There is no sign of any incidents in the history books or whatsoever and when buying the car we asked if the car is fine and has no problems and the answer was yes and that there are no problems with the car.

We have not contacted the dealer yet because we don’t know what are our rights and what can we do about it. Is the dealer wrong for false representation of the car or is there nothing we can do.

My dad is now worried that there might be more problems about the car which we are not aware of. We would just like to hear some advice of what should we do next.

Raivis

Just did a research about the company and found out that they have been sellig faulty cars for quite few years to people and have changed their company name multiple times. Should we take the car to garage and have it fully checked? We dont want to contact the dealer yet as the reviews are so bad and seems like they have gotten away before.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Ralvis. If the car has been properly repaired, then the dealer is not lying to say that there are no problems with the car. It’s possible the person you spoke to at the dealership wasn’t aware of any repairs.

An dealer is not obliged to disclose minor or cosmetic repairs. They are obliged to disclose if the car is a Category C or D (written off by the insurance company but repaired and approved for return to the road).

Unless you have evidence that you asked the dealer if the car had been in an accident and that they lied about it, there’s probably nothing you can do.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.