fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Bought Kia Carens…fault developed within 4 days

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car Bought Kia Carens…fault developed within 4 days

Tagged: ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Christina Quin

Hi, I bought a Kia Carens from a dealer on 7/06/2017 the car was registered on 24/06/2016 the car is a “Kia assured used car” and comes with a 7-year warranty from the date I purchased it.

I drove the car home then a couple of very short journeys, car didn’t always start first time but I thought that I just needed to get used to having to have foot on clutch and turn key to start. By Sunday 11/06/2017 I thought there might be a problem with the car rather than with me! I took car into the garage on Wednesday 14/06/2107 and by now car was taking as many as 6 attempts to start.

Spoke to salesman I bought car from and he said it’s not right, take it to service department, guy there struggled to start it and said the battery probably needed charged. They kept car over night and charged the battery then test drive and told me battery was now fine and car started first time when I picked it up on Thursday 15/06/2017, by next day the was car back to not starting so phoned garage and told to bring it in on Monday 19/06/2017.

On Sunday 18/06/2017 my husband went to start the car, it started on second attempt but made an awful noise like it was misfiring then later on after going shopping it took at least 12 attempt to get car started. I would really like to reject this car as I have lost all faith in it, we paid £17,498 and also bought a 3-year service pack for £499. As we were given a £2850 trade in for our old car I am not sure where we stand. Any advice would be much appreciated.
      Thanks Christina

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Christina. The battery could be beyond repair and need replacing, or it could be the starter motor or a number of other issues.
      I’m not sure that you’d be successful in rejecting the car under the Consumer Rights Act, as it’s probably a simple fix. The dealer has almost certainly been too hasty in assuming it was simply a flat battery and not doing any further checks, but it is unlikely to be a fundamental problem with the vehicle.
      If you are able to reject the car, you will get a refund for the total invoice price – which would include £2,850 for the value of your old car.

Christina Quin

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had decided to give the dealer another go at trying to find the problem. The car was registered on 24/06/2017 by Europcar and handed back to Kia in January of this year so maybe could be a case of sitting around and battery needing replaced. Anyway dealer has given me a decent car to use meantime and said that service department were too quick to return car after just charging the battery and that if they don’t get to the bottom of the problem this time we will look at me rejecting or them replacing the car.
      Sounds like a good plan to me :-)

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Fingers crossed they diagnose it properly this time around!

Christina Quin

Hi, just had contact from dealership saying that the car was sent up from Kia with a near full tank of petrol and the dealership topped this up with diesel as it is a diesel car! So now I am a bit confused as the car has been driven with this fuel mix of mainly petrol which would explain why it had trouble starting and sounded rather rough. I am concerned in case there has been any damage to the fuel pump. At first I was happy there wasn’t an issue with the car but now I am worried in case there has been damage and it shows itself later on. Do you have any views on this?
      Thanks

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Sounds like someone, somewhere has screwed up pretty significantly. It’s unlikely that the car was “sent up from Kia” with a full tank, as it’s the dealer that is usually responsible for fuelling the vehicle. Not that it really matters.

If it was me, I’d be pushing to reject the car. It may or may not be successful, but that should be your first objective. If you can’t get agreement on that, I’d be watching how the car behaves very closely, and hauling it straight back in if you have any further problems.

Christina Quin

Thanks…Dealership has admitted that they topped car up with petrol. They have accepted my letter of rejection. I have given them 10 days to return monies paid but in the meantime I have said they can look for a like for like car. I have a technical support guy from the dealerships head office customer services acting on my behalf and he said to just give them 7 days to find a car. I must admit so far I am impressed with the service I have received :-) But I know that the car will end up on the forecourt again

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Glad it’s all been resolved to your satisfaction, and I hope they find you a suitable replacement model :)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.