• Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Can I reject a car after 6 months?

Home Forums Any Other Business Can I reject a car after 6 months?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Honest Jones 9 months ago.

• Author
    Rachel

I have a brand new Land Rover Discovery Sport new in March this year. On 27th Oct i notices a whistling sound. It went back to the dealer and I collected on Friday.

Apparently the coating in the balance shaft had worn off and they changed this and the exhaust and some other small parts. It should have been ready on Monday but they discovered fumes inside the car so returned it to me on Friday fixed. I have driven the car and the car still fills up with diesel fumes and the electrics on the boot are now playing up. We are very upset as it cost £45000, half is on finance.

I have read that you loose your right to reject the car after 6 months but we are very happy. This problem seems to have occurred before and they have replaced the whole engine…our is the first to have specific parts changed!! Any help and guidance on how we may get a refund would be gratefully appreciated or even exactly what my rights are.

• #123740 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Rachel. The Consumer Rights Act gives a buyer advantages if they are trying to reject a car within the first six months. After that time, you are still able to reject a vehicle but the law isn’t really on your side and the seller is favoured.

Given that you bought a brand-new car, your best bet may be to go directly to Land Rover head office if you are not getting satisfactory results from the dealer.

• #138094 Reply
    JZ

Hi Rachel,

Hopy you have been successful getting your money back, I am in the same situation (brand new car with the same fault), would you let me know what happened with yours please?

• #145698 Reply
    Iain

Hi, my Disco S is 4 months old with 9k miles. Same issue but still waiting for them to take it in.

• #151093 Reply
    Honest Jones

This is now the wrong advice. The balancer shaft failure is developing into another major fault on all Ingenium engines, petrol and diesel and was the subject of an Service Action Notice No. 128 in January 2018:

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7555

Therefore it can be the reason for a rejection up to 6 years after purchase because there is documentary evidence which points to it having been there at the time of manufacture.

Reply To: Can I reject a car after 6 months?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: