Can I reject a car because I have been banned?

Home Forums Buying a Car Can I reject a car because I have been banned?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Rob Clarke

Hi Guys

I bought a car last Saturday (on finance) and drove it home. Over the weekend I did about 100 miles in it. Wednesday this week I received a letter from a court – about a case I knew nothing about – saying that I have been banned from driving for six months, due to a totting-up of points. The ban is kosher. I didn’t receive the paperwork, but I can’t get out of it.

In the small print of the HP agreement it states that I must insure the car fully comp, in my name. This, of course, I cannot now do, as I don’t have a licence. I have spoken to the finance company who say that if I don’t either (a) hand the car back to the dealership, or (b) sell the car privately, they will declare me in breach of contract.

Thee is nothing wrong with the vehicle – it is a beautiful Aston Martin – but I cannot keep it, as I cannot insure it.

Am I able to simply ‘reject’ the car, under the new (2015) consumer legislation? The dealership have said they want £7k to take the car back…

Your early replies to this matter would be appreciated…

Thanks

Rob

• #127574 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Rob. No, I don’t think you have any grounds to reject the car under the Consumer Rights Act if there’s nothing wrong with it.

The Act does not cover your inability to drive the car or anything else that may prevent you from keeping it (eg – inability to afford payments, nowhere to park it, don’t like it anymore, etc.)

Reply To: Can I reject a car because I have been banned?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Lost Password

WhatsApp
Email
+1
Tweet
SAVE MONEY
CAR FINANCE ADVICE
EXPERT KNOWLEDGE
CAR BUYING TIPS
STAY INFORMED
CAR NEWS + REVIEWS