fbpx

Car broken down whilst under warranty, dealer refusing to repair!!

TCE home 2021 Forums Buying a Car Car broken down whilst under warranty, dealer refusing to repair!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Nigel Chapman

I’m after some advice about our new-to-us used car.

We bought a car from a dealer with 6 months warranty, all was well for 5 months and then it broke down with turbo failure. I contacted the dealer who was very unhelpful, he said that turbos are not covered by the warranty company as they are classed as a wear and tear item.

I don’t really understand this as in my opinion you could say that most breakdowns are wear and tear so what does the warranty cover!

Anyway, i took the car into my local garage where they started to remove the old turbo, it soon became apparent that the engine had been changed as there were loose bolts, bolts missing, hoses not correctly secured, wires not secured etc.

We checked the engine number and it doesn’t match the V5! So, I’ve paid for a car with 90k on the clock, the warranty doesn’t cover wear and tear but the actual engine that’s fitted could for all I know have 200k on the clock.

I haven’t yet contacted the dealer as I’m trying to work out where I stand legally and what my rights are. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? Thanks

Stuart Masson

Hi Nigel. A turbo failure would not normally be considered ‘wear and tear’, so the dealer appears to be trying to mislead you there. However, it’s certainly possible that the turbo is not covered by the used car warranty as it is usually quite an expensive item.

There is nothing illegal about an engine being replaced unless the dealer has lied about it when questioned – these things happen and sometimes an engine replacement is the only solution if the original engine is beyond repair. It may have happened well before the dealer bought the car, so he may not be aware of it.

You probably have some good grounds to reject the car either because it’s faulty or because you’ve been mis-sold. You’ll probably need some good legal advice to help you pursue the matter, based on the various paper trails that will give you the best chance of getting your money back.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.