• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Car damaged by car dealer. Right to refund?

Home Forums Buying a Car Car damaged by car dealer. Right to refund?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Sean

Hi

I recently bought a used Jaguar XF from a car dealership they sell new and used cars, anyway the door wasn’t locking so under warranty they agreed to fix it and when the car was left in someone had reversed into the front of it so I was told. Once I collected the car it was night so I didn’t notice damage until the next day but I noticed door was damaged from them fitting the lock. They didn’t tell me this until I pointed it out to them and they got back to me and said yes the mechanic damaged the door.

I want to know if I have to right to a refund as the way I have been treated I don’t think is fair. The salesman said full jaguar service history witch it doesn’t and also in the back of the car where the mats clip down they were all broken and could see down into carpet the salesman said it would be fixed then he said nothing they could do about it after holidays past. They have agreed to get parts and fix them now I complained to manager.

My reason for refund is I paid a lot of money for the car and first time spending that type of money on a car why should I accept a damaged car and service history not being there also the way they have tried to hide things and I wouldn’t want them working on my car from the door you can tell it’s been beating out with something I’m assuming.

Thanks

Sean

• #128715 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Sean. In terms of your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act, you can only argue that the car was faulty at point of sale or that the car was mis-sold. Therefore, your best bet to reject the car under the Act would be if you have written evidence that the car was advertised as having a full Jaguar service history (verbal promises from a salesman don’t count).

In terms of how the dealership has treated you, I agree that they sound completely shoddy. They have ignored or covered up damage that they have created. However, that doesn’t give you a legal right to give the car back for a full refund.

Your best bet is probably to send a formal letter of complaint to the dealer principal or general manager, outlining the poor treatment you have received and demanding a refund as you no longer have faith in the dealership or their vehicle. It probably won’t work, but it may lead to a conversation regarding compensation or another suitable resolution.

The dealer will be very reluctant to take the car back if they don’t have a legal requirement to do so, so they are more likely to offer alternative options to appease you.

Reply To: Car damaged by car dealer. Right to refund?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: