fbpx

Independent, impartial advice for car buyers and car owners

Find an Expert Rating: 

Car deposit

Home page 2023 Forums Buying a Car Car deposit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sarah

I put a deposit down on a car but this was because I was told it had full service history. I have since found out it doesn’t have both stamps and is only partial history. Can I get my full deposit back according to FCA laws?

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
      Participant

Hi Sarah. Possibly, but it may depend on your circumstances. Check out our article about whether your deposit is refundable.

If you’re trying to cancel the order on the grounds that you’ve been mis-sold, you’ll need to be able to prove that.

NEIL CORDERY

Hi,
      Back in December I placed a £1000 deposit on a £7000 BMW 330ci Clubsport but due to many family a health issues I was unable to visit the dealership to complete the deal; 4 weeks later the car was resold without me being told and they refused to refund any of the deposit!
      Could you please advise as to my position on this please, any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks
      Neil

Christopher Smith

Hi Stuart,

I recently put a deposit down on a car and signed the paperwork agreeing to purchase the car.
      The Mercedes dealer has since contacted me to advise that they shouldn’t have done this as a deposit had been taken the day before at another branch;however, the correct procedure was not followed, therefore they mistakenly took a deposit from myself the following day and I signed a deal to purchase the car.
      The next few days were spent organising delivery, I had the car registered to myself by the dealer in Mercedes me and was advised of a pick up date and provided with a cover note for 7 days complimentary insurance.

Now we arrive to the delivery date and I’m struggling to get them to contact me as previously agreed. I then receive a phone call from the manager and the above regarding the deposit is explained to me.

He states he will look for another car for me, but I’m not sure how much effort he is putting in to get me a comparable model in terms of age, mileage etc, especially when you consider he already has a buyer for the car I had agreed to buy.

Now I know I will be entitled to my deposit back, but am I entitled to any other level of compensation ? Perhaps the equivalent value of the deposit from their side? As they would have kept the deposit had I decided not to go through with the deal.

stuart 2022Stuart Masson
        Participant

Hi Christopher. It happens regularly that the same car gets sold twice to different customers, especially with a set-up like Mercedes where a lot of the dealers share the same stock.

However, it’s very poor that the error was not spotted quickly and a lot of your time has been wasted.

You are most certainly entitled to your deposit back as the dealer cannot supply the car, and you should insist on this being returned to you ASAP. If you would like them to source another car for you, they can do so and you then give them another deposit once they have found a car you are happy with.

Liz

hi i’m looking for advise my son has paid a holding deposit of £250 for a used car he seen online on the 9th February he was advised this would be refundable if he didnt want the car when he managed to view it. The dealership is 7 hours drive from us. He couldnt manage down and advised the garage on the 14th february that he wouldn’t manage down till the 25th February and he agreed to pay another £250 but they took £500. Due to unforseen circumstances he could not manage down then either so advised the garage on the 24th february that he wished to just cancel and has asked for his £750 back they have told him they will refund £250 but not the £500. We have no paperwork or receipts as this was all done by phone is there anything he can do to get his £500 back. Thanks in advance. Liz

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.