• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Changing car – check Torque or bhp etc ?

Home Forums Buying a Car Changing car – check Torque or bhp etc ?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    – none –

hi I’ve bought a 1 litre Hyundai i10 and just can’t get on with it.i previously had a ford ka for 10 years which I loved but was spending more and more money on it each year. Part of the problem is the i10 feels as though it has no power. I don’t really fancy the 1.2 litre model either as there are other things with it I’m not keen on. Basically I’m wondering if it’s only litre size I should be comparing or should I be looking at bhp or torque if I wanted to get something nearer to the power of my old ka, I’ve been musing over whether to test drive a VW up. I really only want a small city car. I’ve discounted the new model ka as I’m after a 5 door thus time round. Many thanks

• #66810 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

You should definitely be looking at performance figures rather than engine size. Modern engines are far more efficient than older ones, so can get better performance out of smaller engines.

Power and torque are both indicators of overall performance, but also look at acceleration figures like 0-60mph or standing 400m acceleration times, as these will give you an idea of how different cars compare.

Definitely test drive cars thoroughly, and don’t be afraid to properly put your foot down (in a sensible and safe manner, of course) so you get a real idea of how a car performs. Too often, people are too timid on a test drive which means they don’t notice a lack of performance.

Reply To: Changing car – check Torque or bhp etc ?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: