• Home
  • Advice
  • Brands
  • Partners
  • News
  • Reviews
  • Forum
  • New car ratings

Our all-new and unique Expert Rating system analyses new cars based on dozens of UK media reviews to give you the best possible car buying advice. Check it out now!

Consumer Rights – Vehicle repair

Home Forums Buying a Car Consumer Rights – Vehicle repair

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Stuart Masson Stuart Masson 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Miriam

Hi,

I’m hoping someone will be able to help.

I recently bought a 2011 Audi TT from a dealer with 27500 miles on the clock. I’ve had the car 2 months and it’s now on 30000 miles.

A few weeks after buying the car, I noticed that when I accelerated in 5th and 6th gear, the car would rev but would not actually accelerate. This was also in conjunction with a burning smell. At the time, I didn’t think much of it (I’m no mechanic) and continued to drive the vehicle.

Around a week ago, it repeated this behaviour again and I decided it needed further investigation. I contacted the dealer I bought the vehicle from to explain and it was suggested that I take the car to their branch near my home.
    This particular branch advised I needed a new clutch and that I shouldn’t drive the car as it was prone to ‘imminent failure’.

I fed this back to the branch I bought the vehicle from – they supplied me with a courtesy car and advised they would need to move my vehicle to a third branch for further inspection.

The car went in on 28/6 and it’s now 5/7. I was advised on 3/7 that my vehicle had been put up on ramps and that the branch had ordered a part for the vehicle.

No-one has called me to discuss costs or to ask for authorisation on repairs. From what I have read on my consumer rights, it would be reasonable for me to expect the dealer to repair the vehicle at no cost to myself.
    It would also be down to them to prove the fault was not present at the time of purchase.

Please could someone help and advise on where I stand with this?

• #134277 Reply
    Stuart Masson
    Stuart Masson
    Keymaster

Hi Miriam. If the dealer has not asked for authorisation to repair the vehicle, and an indication of any cost to you, they have no right to carry out that work.

If the clutch is covered under a used car warranty or is being repaired under the Consumer Rights Act, there should be no cost to you.

Reply To: Consumer Rights – Vehicle repair

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: